Comanche Not Started in 2 years

Help Help Help...FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY at a point I can spend time working on the truck. 86 MJ 2.8? 4x4 Question is it hasn't been started for 2 years so I know I know shame on me but I really need direction on where to begin. Everyone has opinions and I'd like to get the clubs views since some one was probably in the same boat

You know...turn the crank, replace the gas, pull the plugs, etc. i'm mechanical but not a motorhead. Ive read up but still looking for advice.

My manche sat for a year without so much as being turned over manually while I was working on it. Finally got it to a point that I was going to be able to fire it up so I turned the harmonic balancer by hand first to make sure it wasn't seized up before trying to start. Then changed the oil so some fresh oil was at the top of the engine and wouldn't be a dry start. Then just cranked it a few times and it fired right up without a glitch like it'd been running the whole time. Granted this is on a 4.0 and you've got the 2.8 but should still be pretty close, only problem you might have to worry about is the carb being gummed up or corroded or something from age.

A couple years ago I picked up a '86 MJ, 2.8, 5spd, 4WD. The plates on it were expired 5 years and I'm certain it hadn't been started in that time. What I did to it is what I do to any and all vehicles thats been sitting awhile. First visually inspect for any damage or missing parts or disconnected wires, hoses. Remove the spark plugs. see if you can turn the engine by hand. If you can then squirt a couple ounces of oil into every cylinder. Check for oil in the crankcase. I remove the oil sender and connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge to it. Now spin the starter for about 10 seconds. See if the engine spins freely and note if any oil pressure. If everything is OK replace the plugs, make sure it's got fresh gas and see if it will start. If it does let it run until it gets warm. Be looking for leaks and strange noises. If everything is OK, shut it down, change the oil and filter and you should be in business. Good luck. And as for the '86. It's my DD in the winter and trailing. Never gave me a lick of trouble.