Tranny/TCase: Repair or replace?

Looking to fix up my transmission and transfer case, getting a lot of noise, slop, bad synchros, yada yada. Is it worth it to pick up something like this and build it on the side, or just spring for something in better shape? Would be nice to upgrade to the external slave AX-15 and NP242, but I'm not dead set on it or anything. I've removed transmissions but never dug into them, is it something a backyard mechanic can tackle or is it best left to a shop?

Thinking about spare up cheap so I can take my time with rebuilding, but not really sure if this is a good idea all in terms of total cost (maybe $100 for a donor, then $450 for the AX15 and NP232overhaul kits), click underlined links to see what I'm referring to. For $600 though I've been seeing good running low mileage stuff with new clutch, but it might be fun to learn how to do this kind of work if it's not brain surgery.

Transfer cases are extremely easy to rebuild, I've done quite a few of them and can do them in my sleep at this point. The AX15's aren't too bad to rebuild, you might need a press to get to some of the stuff (I haven't had an AX15 apart but have had many other manual transmissions apart. The key to it all is to just take your time and lay out everything as you go. It's best if you can do it in one or two sittings (I know I have issues if I walk away from something for a week, I'll forget how it goes together).

Swapping to external slave is extremely easy with everything apart. All you would need is the external slave bell housing, clutch fork and master/slave setup (someone else would need to chime in if the clutches are different as I only have internal slave ones kicking around here to look at).

As far as doing it yourself or buying low mileage ones, that part is up to you. I prefer to rebuild them as I know the parts are good and new, you never know how the person before you treated the parts.

I would take a look at the service manual first to see if there are any special tools or procedures. The 231/242 are easy to work on but I do not know about the AX-15. I have rebuilt older Jeep T-150s and have to say that it was easy and gave me more piece of mind knowing that everything was new or in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I scored a '91 AX15/NP231 for $50! :clapping: Best score I've gotten in a long time. Was originally looking to do the external slave upgrade, but I just don't care that much. Doesn't seem like the internal slave is that big a deal. Anyway, now I've got a fall (...winter/spring/next summer...) project. Er, another project.

Pics in the morning when it's not dark and raining. I didn't get to do much inspection, but nothing was obviously broken. I plan to replace the internals for both units so it looked good to me for the price.