Pulling a Dash

Anybody tell me how to pull a dash without tearing it up? I mean the complete dash. Not just the instrument cluster. I got the two bolts on the bottom out and can swing the bottom out a couple inches. According to the FSM, there are two bolts and two studs holding the top in. I cannot see them or find any way to access them. If I have to, I can take a Sawzall and or cutting torch to the bod of the donor and since I'm replacing (or trying to) the dash on the donee, I can pretty much just rip it out. Not to worried about putting the new dash back in. I figure a couple bungee cords will work for that. Any help? :dunno: :help:

I don't know what year you're working with Jim, but all the way up until the the 95 model XJ there are 4 10MM bolts holding the top in that are located under a small trim up next to the windshield. The trim piece is held in by three phillips screws that are licated in the defrost vents.

Once out you should be able to rotate the dash foward on the two bottom 15 MM bolts (at either side of the cab in behind the kick panels) and disconnect the wiring.

GOT IT!!! Akula, Thanks for the tip. I'd never got the dern thing if you hadn't told me what to look for. There were 6 bolts and 4 screws but damn if I'm going to hold 2 bolts and a screw against you. I've owned a flexible shaft phillips screw driver for 20 years. Tonights' the first time I ever used it. Payed for itself right there. I owe ya one. Jim

I've owned a flexible shaft phillips screw driver for 20 years. Tonights' the first time I ever used it. Payed for itself right there.

:agree:

First one I did I ended up cracking the dash pad vinyl. :doh: Spend a couple of bucks on a flexible shaft and will never have that problem again. :thumbsup:

:cheers: