Electronic Questions

Hey all, just wanted some info right quickly. :brows: :cheers:

1. Partially deciding to scrap the idea of putting the 93 XJ Dolby Radio into my MJ simply because I'm tired of having no tunes and although the Dolby sounds great, it can't put out enough volume to match up with my 200wt speakers.

Question is: If I buy an aftermarket radio, what type of harness do I need to get to connect to my factory wiring? I was thinking the standard "Chysler to such and such year" harness, but my truck was built during the last AMC year. Does this matter, and if so, would I have to get a harness off of Ebay? Or would I be able to use the Chry-Co wiring harness?

2. My Oil Gauge in the cluster is FUBAR, and I heard that you can unscrew the gauge and swap it for another. Is this correct?

1. Go to the JY and get a amplifier. They're mounted underneath the back seat, right hand side. I used one from a '98 ZJ. Works great. I've used the adapter kits on several installations. They work. Most of the time the stock MJ-XJ connector has been cut off. I just cut the adapter plug off the conversion kit and hard wire it in. Or you can use a quick connect terminal. If you still have the original harness, unmolested, it's P&P deal.

2. That'll do it.

1. Go to the JY and get a amplifier. They're mounted underneath the back seat, right hand side. I used one from a '98 ZJ. Works great. I've used the adapter kits on several installations. They work. Most of the time the stock MJ-XJ connector has been cut off. I just cut the adapter plug off the conversion kit and hard wire it in. Or you can use a quick connect terminal. If you still have the original harness, unmolested, it's P&P deal.

2. That'll do it.

Had no idea that ZJ's had the amplifier. I don't think I ever noticed one... :hmm: only thing I ever noticed was the disk changer in the back near the spare wheel. Thanks for the tips Jim. :cheers:

Should have mentioned, the Grand Cherokee seems to have a better unit. Bigger case. I've used both with good results.

The GC unit can fit into the MJ's? I always found that pretty far-fetched simply because the unit looks monstrous compared to the XJ's... but that was always my own opinion.