2.5L 1990 oil leak@valve cover.....fixed, still leaks.

Hey Folks,

So, I decided today to re-do the leaking valve cover/gasket. I pulled the valve cover, cleaned off the PINK rtv, and the old gasket, got it looking pretty good. Cleaned the mating surface on the head with lacquer thinner. Got the new gasket, put Ultra Black on the VC side of the gasket, positioned the VC back on the head, and installed the bolts. Slowly tightened them down. The gasket visually looks like its in the right place, and all the bolts went in fine. Now, Ive got some seepage, mainly toward the drivers side rear between 2 of the bolts. The VC did not look warped when I installed it, and visually it is in decent shape. As far as I know I did not crack it anywhere. What next? BTW...the gasket is rubber.

-Erin

Hey Folks,

So, I decided today to re-do the leaking valve cover/gasket. I pulled the valve cover, cleaned off the PINK rtv, and the old gasket, got it looking pretty good. Cleaned the mating surface on the head with lacquer thinner. Got the new gasket, put Ultra Black on the VC side of the gasket, positioned the VC back on the head, and installed the bolts. Slowly tightened them down. The gasket visually looks like its in the right place, and all the bolts went in fine. Now, Ive got some seepage, mainly toward the drivers side rear between 2 of the bolts. The VC did not look warped when I installed it, and visually it is in decent shape. As far as I know I did not crack it anywhere. What next? BTW...the gasket is rubber.

-Erin

Are you 100% that it isn't cracked? I had to get a new valve cover for my 86 2.5. Hairline crack leading up from one of the bolt holes.

99.999% sure. I inspected the cover when I had it off, and visually from the outside all the bolt hole areas look fine. This is seeping between the bolt holes, about halfway between. I made sure to listen as I was tightening things down, and did not crank on them really hard, plus the bolts have shoulders on them to help alleviate tightening them too far. Its a brand new cover from xtremeterrain.com (previous owner bought it, and installed it) It did not look warped, cracked, or funky in any way when I removed it. I will say, it is leaking less than before. I did clean the mating surface on the head, but is it possible that its not leaking, but oil that I did not get quite cleaned up is seeping around the edge of the gasket? It does not appear to be leaking bad (if that is the case, Id assume it would clear up after driving for a while?.... :hmm:

-E.

It's possible. I've had to put on and take off the valve cover several times to get the gasket aligned right. If you have a torque wrench, it eliminates the uncertainty inherent in tightening bolts blind.

55 in lbs for RTV, 44 for permanent gasket.

I'll watch it for a day or 2, and see. There was an awful lot of oil all over the place from this leaking. If it doesn't stop seeping, I'll pick up another gasket, and try it again. I used ultra black on the vc side of the gasket. I'm fairly certain the VC is not cracked.

-E.

p.s.- Ive heard some guys put a bead of rtv on the head also? I followed the manual (says to only put it on the VC....