Question for the Ford 8.8 users

The Ford 8.8 out of an Exploder is offset to the passenger side a decent amount (looks like about an inch). This will cause the driveshaft to be angled in a way that it was not before. Have you noticed any vibrations because of this? If so, at what speeds? How severe is it?

No, no problems with the tunnel or TC skid on full articulation. Your rear will seem noticeably skinnier than the front though. Recommend some good wheel spacers 3/4"-1", I only used one set of 1/4" cheepos on mine. I did get a little rubbing on the inside of the rear fenderwells with 33x12.5"x15 tires.

The 8.8 is a great way to go, arguably D44 strength or stronger, disc brakes, same bolt pattern. The downsides are the width, yoke configuration (depending on what you go with), and the C Clips, but they are pretty big anyway, also the calipers and rotors will keep an axle in at low speeds if there's a breakage, and the size of the pumpkin, its fairly hefty and low hanging. But it's alsocheaper to haul around 8.8 spare shafts than XJ/MJ D44 shafts because you can pull them from any JY rather than ordering new MJ/XJ D44 shafts which are hard to find in a JY.

Costs for gears and lockers are the same as a 44.

Yep - an extremely common axle and very easy to get parts. Hard to beat $150 for a complete axle with near new brake pads and rotors. Also seems pretty easy to find them with 4.10 gears. I found three 4.10 ratio 8.8's at my local pick and pull, but went with a Trac-Loc 3.73 axle to match the front that is already in my truck. Sure beats trying to find the elusive MJ D44. Even the XJ D44's are going for $400, minimum, and I'd have to regear them anyway.

I have also been slowly gathering the parts for an 8.8 swap and wonder because of the offset diff (I realize it's not much) if the driveshaft needs to be shortened/lengthened? Also curious what perches you used, I've been eyeing Ruffstuffs 8.8 swap. I want to stay sprung under with Hellcreeks 3" leaf springs, but want the "thinnest" perch available to keep the springs as close to the axle tube as possible, opinions, ideas, your successes and failures appreciated.

Thanks

I reused the factory 8.8 perches after cutting them of the axle. They ended up keeping the leaves within an inch of the axle tube. My whole swap cost me about $170 including paying $50 to have the perches and shock mounts welded on.

With the spring over I didn't have to do anything to the driveshafts, it could stand to be about an inch shorter but I have never had an issue with it bottoming out the slip yoke.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I spent the time to clean and repaint the axle and calipers and it looks like new. Swapped in a HP D30 from a JY for $40 and got 4.10's and a rear limited slip. Soooooo much better than 3.08's and 33's :cheers:

I have also been slowly gathering the parts for an 8.8 swap and wonder because of the offset diff (I realize it's not much) if the driveshaft needs to be shortened/lengthened? Also curious what perches you used, I've been eyeing Ruffstuffs 8.8 swap. I want to stay sprung under with Hellcreeks 3" leaf springs, but want the "thinnest" perch available to keep the springs as close to the axle tube as possible, opinions, ideas, your successes and failures appreciated.

Thanks

The offset is negligible, you want regular thick perches. You can reuse the 8.8 perches as above after you cut them off. Trim to fit as necessary.

I've got a set of brand new perches from Mopar. Part number P4120074. I bought them with the intention of putting a D44 in and I believe the Mopar perches have a 3" radius on them to fit the D44 axle tubes. The Ford 8.8 has 3.25" axle tubes so the Mopar perches don't quite fit flush, but it's not too bad.