VIN Plate Swapping

terrawombat

For all of the guys who have done the 97+ XJ swap on your MJ - what did you do about the VIN plates? I'm looking to put the original MJ VIN plate on the newer style XJ dash, but they've got those fancy schmancy rivets. I've heard of people just using some regular rivets, but have also heard that is illegal.

Thoughts?

flat head screw driver, heat gun.

takes them off perfectly. replace by heating the plastic and applying emblem adhesive to the back side of the plate. don't apply too much adhesive.

I've had to do this with interior swaps (changing color) as well as 97+ interior swaps.

Another thought - the '99XJ VIN plate was silver and VERY easy to read. The '88MJ VIN plate was painted black and not so easy to read. I have a feeling that when I finally get this truck on the road and need to take it through an inspection, I'm going to run into some issues because they won't be able to just pop open my door and scan the barcode on it. Wondering if I should hit the VIN plate with some paint stripper to take it down to the silver metal finish. You guys ever get any crap for swapping/tampering with VIN plates? I know there are quite a few laws regarding it...

above and beyond that, if you're doing an interior swap, it's not your fault that the dash is the wrong color, or style. you still have to have the vin.

so, you're saving the state from confusion.

anyways, I'd just hit it with some silver paint. light coat.

Cool - hit it with some paint. Looks much better and a lot easier to read.

Dug out the original door from this thing and, yep, no barcode. The oldest vehicle I've ever taken through an inspection was my '92MJ and that has the barcode.

I need to start looking into getting some historical tags for this thing :D