beating the horse again...

I'm sure this has been answered a million times, ive searched naxja and this site with no real positive answer...

the heat on my mj don't work... well it does when I'm doin 65-70, it turned on a couple times when i hit the dash really hard then shut off when i shut the motor off.. if i stick my hand by the vent, its warm just nothins blowin out, all the fuses are good?

so today at work i decided to pull the dash apart, i got the overlay off trying to get to the heat controls to pull it out and see if that infamous wire was loose but the bastage won't come out.

so the real question... what do you guys think my problem is, and how do i get the climate control thing outta the dash?

mine did exactly the same thing. If I smacked the top of the dash occasionally it would come back on, it also seemed to work when it was warm. A lot of good that did me for heat :)

Anyway, here's what fixed mine.

Step by step, sorry if it's annoying.

Pull the small trim piece below the steering column.

Unscrew the trim piece screws, there's two above the gauges, and one below and to the right of the HVAC controls. There may be more, mine didn't have any and those are the only three holes I found.

I removed the trim by pulling it at the top, once it cleared the top of the dash I popped it from the bottom and removed it. If you can you might want to park it somewhere heated, I was worried that I would crack it by flexing it while cold.

The HVAC controls are held in with 4 screws. Just unscrew those from the ears and it will pop right out. I removed the center vent just to get some more room. I'm not sure if it was needed or not, but I took it off to clean it anyway.

My Blower was intermittent because of the big connector on the upper passenger side of the HVAC controller. I did not remove any of the vacuum lines. The connector is almost an edge connector , I just unplugged it and "tweaked" the contacts back towards the center. I also cleaned everything up with contact cleaner, and pumped it all full of di-electric grease. There's another connector on the opposite side, I did the same just as a matter of principle, but it was the one on the right that stopped my motor from working, the jiggle test confirmed.

Sorry for the book, but I hope this helps.

Edit: I'm pretty sure there was a grey wire with a stripe that went to the connector in question. I should have taken a picture. My memory can't be trusted though, spraying contact cleaner in the cab got me pretty buzzed. Mines an 87 BTW.

does the blower work with vent or ac?

to pull the climant controls out take the four screws theirs two electrical connectors unplug them.

then theresa locking tab you need to bend back to un hook the vacuum connector.

then release the control cable loking tab

that should pull the hole unit out

sounds like you need a new climate control unit

the blower switch might be going out

if you need to remove the radio and take a look at it from above

mine started to do the same thing a year ago i replaced it and now its works good

(check the blower moter for loose conections along with the climate control assembly itself)

nothing blows out on vent or anything unless I'm going above 45.

so i took the climate controls out... vacuum pressure is there, no loose connections on the wires there, so my next question... wheres the blower motor? down by the passenger feet? I'm gonna replace the climate controls and see where it gets me, then move onto the blower.. thanks guys.