The Five Year Project

Finally got a great start on this project that has been sitting without a engine for 3 years. I got it in the winter of 2007. It was a barter trade for a Arctic Cat ATV that I destroyed. I drove the truck a couple times to school, about a 30 mile one way trip a couple times. One day I was about 15 miles from home and the cab started to fill with smoke, I just kept going. It died in the turnlane to the gas station, I jammed it into second and the engine started again. Got it stopped, popped the hood and too my surprise the engine oil dipstick was dry. So being a flat broke I went into the store and was able to buy only 2 quarts of oil. Dumped the oil in the truck and drove the rest of the way home, about 9 miles, uneventfully. Then I parked it. Here is the truck a couple days after I got it. It had damage to the passenger side of the box that someone tried to repair. Sorry no pics of that.

I moved away from home and took the truck with me. I had a garage at my "new" house and I pulled the drivetrain out of it, no clue what I was doing at the time. I needed a new box for the truck and ended finding a rust free box from a Missori truck at a junkyard. I towbared the 400 dollar truck home and stole the box off it. Buddy took the rest and cut it up for another project. So at this point I had a solid shell to work with. I wanted to swap in a 6 cylinder BAD. I moved to wyoming and my folks hauled it back to their house. Here is a shot from last winter. Far left..

It lived in this spot for about 2 years. Sitting on plastic with all the "good" parts sitting in the box......

I have been living in a apartment for awhile so I had no way to even work on this thing. I moved this spring to a new house with a nice garage. I used my XJ to move the trailer around the yard.

I got this relic from a fellow club member for around 60 bucks. It had been rolled. We cut the roof off to use it at a mud/run camping event. It never did make it too the event and sat in the woods since last Labor Day. 92 XJ Limited, 4.0/AW4/242 with just over 200k. Runs and drives nice!

So the MJ, noted "The Five Year Project" started life as a 1989 Comanche Pioneer, 2.5/2wd, very light interior, rubber floors, bench seat. It was sold brand new in Florida, spent time in Texas, California, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Now back to the whole "build" part. The plan is to make the 89 a 4.0, 4 wheel drive MJ. The XJ pictured above is the "donor." Spent about 12-14 hours in the garage yesterday to do the teardown.

Couple more things before the engine is going to run in this truck. Fuel, new wiring mounts, couple holes drilled for various underhood items, new holes made for x-member.

I will try to remember to take pictures as this goes on but as most know its a very hard thing to do when you are covered in grease up to your elbows!

Exhaust manifold is cracked BAD on this engine. Crappy picture but it has been repaired once so its going to get replaced with a header.

Bought another XJ for parts. Had a full cluster and a Dana 44. Paid $250 for it. Pulled the cluster (looks like it will work in the 5YP), Dana 44, and the electric fan and scrapped it for $213. Id say I made out pretty well. The cherokee had OVER 300k and had been cut up and got the crap beat outa it by a buddy of mine. Didnt even think to snap a picture :fs1:

Got the rest of donor Jeep tore down today. Pulled the steering column, rest of the vaccum hoses, and the complete dash wiring, just in case.

Pulled it onto the trailer and started pulling the axles.

don't know why i pulled the Dana 35 outa the XJ. Guess you can never have enough "spare" parts! Off to the scrap yard in the AM.

• 6 months later...

This Jeep is now FOR SALE only on CC. If anyone is interested please contact me about it. I will only sell it to someone that will put it on the road. It doesnt owe me nothing. Just lost interest in this one I guess. :roll:

Truck is 95% rust free with a clear title in my name.

As of 3/17, for sale ad has been expanded to my local Jeep forum.