Need help with A/C

Jeep MJ 2.5L I4

its made for R12 but I'm going to use 134a but i have a small leak on this aluminum hose the connects the the value.

and i was wondering what this whole can and two hoses was and if maybe i can even by pass it with just one line that runs from the condenser to the value

As you can see the its all one piece you can't remove the either hose from the aluminum can thing

The can is the receiver dryer, and is a required part of the AC system, it stores extra refrigerant and system oil, and has a dessicant in it that removes any moisture from inside the system, as the AC oil is hydroscopic like brake fluid and if theres too much moisture in there, it could cause compressor damage. It could be that you just need an O-ring at the connection you pointed out, but if its a bad line, then you will need to replace the whole thing as a unit. Theres no other way without having expensive custom parts made. Good luck.

I'm not sure what dryer you are talking about in the second photo? i can't make it out to be honest. the can with all the arrows pointed at it is deffinately a reciever/dryer and is required for your system to work properly. like said above if its leaking at the fitting it could be as easy as replacing the o-ring at that spot. If there is a crack in the alluminum tube part and it is not to close to the tube nut it can be cleaned and welded up. Ive welded alluminum ac tube many times of the years. gl

if you open the system up you really need to replace the dryer anyways, esp if it is humid out or you will have to evac the system for at least an hour. plus the oil in there isn't compatible really with the 134A refrigerant and cooling will suffer.

The dessicant(sp) will suck up humidity like a sponge.

If you replace the dryer make sure you add the proper amount of p.a.g. oil to it (usually around 2 ounces)

What year is yours. Ill try to look up service info on alldata and see if thats right. My 2.5 only has the one at the condensor, not the one next to the compressor. Maybe someone needed a line and grabbed one that fit from another model. There are some vehicle that do the two canister thing though.