AX-15 swap technical question, bushings

I'm into the swap for taking out the BA10 and replacing with AX-15. My truck is an 88, the trans is an external slave from 96.

I pretty much know what I'm doing here (i think HA :yes: ) The only issue I'm stuck at is this pilot bushing/bearing. I think my big downfall is other internet posters loose use of terms and not noting a difference. I see people talk about cj5 pilot bushing needing replaced in one thread, and pilot bearing replaced in another thread.

So the crank bore with exisiting stock bearing/bushing combo, is too small to handle the input shaft of the later year model AX-15. SO Do I leave the existing BUSHING, and pop out the bearing. Or do I take both out and replace.

And which part am I using to replace it? A CJ5 bushing (my initial thought) or the bearing. I'm looking on rockauto.com at the parts list and they have both listed as separate parts.

If I made this more confusing than need be, I can reiterate.

Or just tell me if this is correct. I need to remove BOTH stock bushing and bearing, and replace it with JUST the BUSHING from the cj5 haha. Thanks guys :wavey:

When i did my external slave swap it necessitated a late model clutch assy which came with a pilot bearing for the larger late model input shaft. I had to go get one for my older small input shaft. I think the terms bearing and bushing mean a two part bearing or a one piece bushing and are interchangable

Your confusion is understandable.

Vehicles don't use a bushing and a bearing.. they have one or the other. The 87-91 4.0s used a bearing that was pressed inside of a sleeve, which isn't a bushing.

When you do your swap, you need to pull both out(they probably won't come out together). And replace them with the 74 CJ 304 bushing(or bearing)

Geonovast... I looked at part numbers before and i see that the existing on is in fact a " ushing" with roller style internals making it all a bearing. But when i went to rock auto to get the bushing everyone mentions, they actually have a listing for EACH a bushing and a bearing. The diameters seem such that one fits inside the other. They werent expensive so i got both, That was what really through me off track.

So in case anyone else in the ax15 swap world wants to know... I ordered both the bushing and bearing rockauto lists for a 73 cj5 with a 304 v8 and even though they are 2 different part numbers and show different dimensions they are the SAME part in a different box and diff part number...... /mystery :)