Comanche Front End Changes?

On the morning of March 9th, I was on my way to school and got into a wreck in my 92 Base/Pioneer (don't know which it is). The damage was not too bad but everything from the header panel forward save the lighting was ruined. Now that it is summer, I can start fixing it. I went by the junkyard the other day and the guy had already crushed the 86 Cherokee I was after. He said that it wouldn't have worked anyway. Something about a change they made. I know they changed the grille in 88 from 10 slot to 8 (not a big deal), but were there anymore changes?

-Nick W. :huh???:

Youll need to be specific as to getting one from a 4.0, as the ones in a 2.5 are different as well, really they are the same as the 86 model ones as the 2.5 and 2.8 used the same radiator. We are talking about the radiator support metal, not the header panel. If you just need a header panel ( the fiberglass part ) you can get one from just about any year and make it work, though I think between 86 and 87 they changed the stud locations that mount the header to the sheetmetal. I can't remember which is which, but one had the studs on the header, and one had the studs on the fender/ core support. My truck has both year parts on it so I cut the studs off one side and drilled the holes needed to mount stuff up.... no big deal really. Now would be a good time to change to a Waggy front end if you like that sort of thing, the headligfht wiring just plugs right up and everything works like its supposed to except with 4 headlights. Good luck on getting her fixed up.

The '86 nose would have worked. You might have needed some minor adjustments. 87 and newer would be better. Just be aware that they changed the grille in either 90 or 91 to incorporate the trim strip above the grille and headlights into the grille and headlight bezels. On the early ones that trim strip is a separate part. You can't mix the early header with the later grille, or the opposite.