Dirty clutch fluid after external slave swap

Hello all 90 mj 4.0 ax15

Just completed an external slave swap on the trans. My internal slave was leaking and I only wanted to pull the trans once, ya know?

Installed new master, plastic slave (without a bleeder) and had to get the line made at a local industrial supply shop as I could not find one locally. I flushed the line with some fluid before install and the mc and slave were sealed when I bought them. I installed the master a week before the swap hoping my slave would hold out longer but no dice.

I bled the system by working the slave pushrod in and out slowly while my pop watched the fluid level. I have great pedal feel but the fluid is very dark. Fluid was clear a week before when I changed the master only.

I guess I have two questions:

1. How do you all bleed the clutch system? Is there a way to actually change the fluid with no bleeder? Or do I have to bench bleed everything?

2. Whats with the no bleeder on the slave? It has a boss for one but the hole is blind and I didnt want to drill through it. Slave was purchased from NAPA and they said that was the only one they have.

I guess thats four questions :dunce:

Thanks everybody!

hmmm.... I didn't ever have a problem with my Napa external slave on my ax-15... I have a 2.8L but mine had a bleeder screw on the top back, right by where the hydraulic line connects. I would just crack the line at the slave. Start engine, pump clutch 5 times and hold, crack the line at the slave cylinder, re tighten, then pump the clutch again 5 times. Repeat as necessary. Or, if its not a DD, you can just crack the line at the slave, and let her sit with a drain pan underneath for a week or so, making sure there is still fluid in the reservoir, and just let the fluid drain itself out. Hope this helps!

-Nate

Take a turkey baster and change the fluid in the master cyl several times ovr the next few days or weeks will clean it up , don't let your fluid sit around open though it draws moisture and causes rust if any metal in the system.

hmmm.... I didn't ever have a problem with my Napa external slave on my ax-15... I have a 2.8L but mine had a bleeder screw on the top back, right by where the hydraulic line connects. I would just crack the line at the slave. Start engine, pump clutch 5 times and hold, crack the line at the slave cylinder, re tighten, then pump the clutch again 5 times. Repeat as necessary. Or, if its not a DD, you can just crack the line at the slave, and let her sit with a drain pan underneath for a week or so, making sure there is still fluid in the reservoir, and just let the fluid drain itself out. Hope this helps!

-Nate

My slave has a barbed fitting with a o-ring and pin but thats a good idea! I might try and unhook the line and let it drain for an hour or so while watching the fluid level.

Its not DD status yet but getting there! I need to get this thing reliable in the next couple months because the motor is coming out of my current DD soon.

Take a turkey baster and change the fluid in the master cyl several times ovr the next few days or weeks will clean it up , don't let your fluid sit around open though it draws moisture and causes rust if any metal in the system.

Do you think the new fluid will make its way down to the slave?

I can't believe they would manufacture a slave cylinder that you cannot bleed. So frustrating. :wall: