Alternator Relocation: Renix vs. H.O.

I had gathered all of the parts, including the belt, to move the alternator to the a/c compressor position on my '88 Renix non-a/c 4.0 but then had to sell the truck due to deeeeeevorce. ( I had 7 wonderful years of marriage..unfortunately we were married for 27... :brows: )

I now have a '91 H.O. 4.0, also without air, but I don't think I can use the renix stuff on it?

If not, what doesn't work? Can I use an '88 alt. to make it a go? Are there other parts out there for the H.O.?

If it is umpossible, I have all of the stuff to to move the alternator to the a/c compressor position on a Renix 4.0 to sell.... :(

I now have a '91 H.O. 4.0, also without air, but I don't think I can use the renix stuff on it?

If not, what doesn't work? Can I use an '88 alt. to make it a go? Are there other parts out there for the H.O.?

If it is umpossible, I have all of the stuff to to move the alternator to the a/c compressor position on a Renix 4.0 to sell.... :(

the H/O 4.0 uses a different alternator then the renix they are non compatible. belt are the same 770-k6

on my 91 H/O i used the alternator out of a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L, 136amp then i fabed the mounting brackets.

photo2fk.jpg

photo1v.jpg

A friend's renix setup

Nice pics, and thank you. That is some good work. Due to the lack of welding skills/equipment I guess I was hoping that I could make the Delco alt. work with the H.O. electrical system and use the unmodified brackets. Apparently this is not possible?

I guess I was hoping that I could make the Delco alt. work with the H.O. electrical system and use the unmodified brackets. Apparently this is not possible?

The 91+ HOs came with a NipponDenso alternator up and is regulated by the ECU. The puny Renix Delco alts are regulated by an external voltage regulator. There have been lots of swaps done by Renix guys swapping in the higher output HO alts into their rigs by wiring in an external regulator, but I've never heard of anyone using a Delco alt in an HO. To do this you would have to disconnect the ECU regulator and I doubt it would ever run due to the fault codes generated.