Paint Questions

I already know Most of you are going to say "get a paint gun" but, what about the paint? Where can I get it locally (big name hard ware stores, wal-mart :shake: , or online? What type of paint, how to thin the paint if needed, how to prep the jeep, how to make my own "paint shop", dry time between coats, clear coat, how many coats of what?

Any thing and everything you have to say comment or what ever will be great! I am still a ways from needing to repaint my Jeep but I would like to know in advanced so i can get the stuff and do a little practicing before i try it on the Jeep. I can paint fairly good with a spray can but... I want a paint gun. :shake:

I am an automotive painter by trade, so the way I would do it, and the way I would recommend you do it will be 2 different stories, (As I have thousands of dollars in equipment that you don't have, and years of practice!) I would recommend that you single stage it, and buy a cheap harbor freight HVLP spray gun, (Like $40) Wherever you get your paint, ask them to print you out a tech sheet. (It will be product specific, but will give you lots of info you'll need. (mix ratios, dry time, air pressure settings, surface prep, etc.) Napa has some cheap single stage paints from Martin senior, and they'll have someone around who can get you the tech sheet, and help you with what hardener and what reducer to use, etc. They'll also have all the other supplies you'll need like sandpaper, masking supplies etc. Painting uses a lot of air, so I would make sure you do it somewhere you have access to a good size air compressor. (60 gal minimum if possible.) If you don't have access to that much compressor, just be patient. spray one panel, and wait for your air pressure to come back up before moving on. I made a thread on here to help guys painting their own truck a few years ago. I'll track it down, and bump it, so it'll show up in the new posts section for ya. I tried to put a lot of the basics in it, but if something doesn't make sense to ya, or if you have a question for me, just post it there, and I'll help you out if I can. Don't be intimidated. Painting cars is only difficult if you have unrealistic expectations! (Meaning, if you want it to look perfect, have it done professionally, but if you are looking to make a bunch of body repairs, and want it all one color, with a little shine to it, you can manage that!)

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the info!

right now I am trying to learn as much as i can about auto mec. work and auto body stuff... I did not have any "auto mec. or shop class" in high school so i am learning as i go... and thankfully haven't crippled my MJ yet.. or my uncles sports car I mess with... so anything is helpful.

thanks again!

edit:

By paint shop i mean something i can set up in my uncles 2 car garage..

No problem man! "New paint?" is what the thread is called, and I wasn't the one to start it, but That's where I posted it. My little writeup is on page 3. (And there's some pointers throughout) Good luck, and have fun with it! I lucked out. My dad has been a painter his whole Adult life, and the skillset got passed down!