Speedometer Gear Shaft Swap

For my 31s and 3.55 gears, everything reads that I need a black 32 tooth speedometer gear, fine. Since I have the newer '97 stuff in my truck, I need the short shaft gear instead of the long shaft, fine. The problem is that the short shaft gears are about $10 more expensive. I've got some spare short shafts laying around in my garage; can I just swap out the shaft and save $10 or is there something mechanically different about the gear itself?

For my 31s and 3.55 gears, everything reads that I need a black 32 tooth speedometer gear, fine. Since I have the newer '97 stuff in my truck, I need the short shaft gear instead of the long shaft, fine. The problem is that the short shaft gears are about $10 more expensive. I've got some spare short shafts laying around in my garage; can I just swap out the shaft and save $10 or is there something mechanically different about the gear itself?

The shafts will swap. As far as I recall, you just tap one out and tap the new one in. The gears are the same on both.

The shafts will swap. As far as I recall, you just tap one out and tap the new one in. The gears are the same on both.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've did some kinda shaft swap with my TJ, but I just can't remember why or what I did. I even found a cheaper long shaft used one on Ebay, so now I'll be able to save about $25.

You wouldnt happen to have a green 39 tooth short shaft laying around, would you? I need to do this to correct my speedometer for 33s and 4.56s.

Mike

I've got a green 31, a green 34, two yellow 30s and whatever is in my Comanche right now (its green, but its most likely a 31). Sorry Mike.