1989 comanche sport. will this fit? painless or not?

It'll fit, but you may need to modify/swap drive shafts, depending on which trans you have already. You are also gonna run into a whole bunch of wiring issues. If you have time, patience, a decent amount of electrical knowledge, and know how to read a wiring diagram, then it won't be terrible. Painless? Nooooooo! You ever cut off a finger? Bout that much pain! Tolerable, but still sucks!

Physically, it will fit. But putting an 99 engine and transmission into an 89, EVERYTHING needs changed, including dash cluster, and fuel pump assembly. The only thing you'd reuse is the tail light wiring which you will have to splice into the dash harness, but only because you will have no other choice.

Physically, it will fit. But putting an 99 engine and transmission into an 89, EVERYTHING needs changed, including dash cluster, and fuel pump assembly. The only thing you'd reuse is the tail light wiring which you will have to splice into the dash harness, but only because you will have no other choice.

Yup!

I would really suggest you buy a whole jeep if considering this swap . The donor jeep may have ABS . 2 sections of the firewall should be cut out and transplanted in yours . Non CAD axle would be a plus , also , you'd need the slip yoke from the rear driveshaft (29 spline vs 27 on yours) , plus what's said above . You'd also have 3:55's vs a most likely 3:07

Yeah , I got my donor already :)

Curious about the fuel pump though , will a 91 MJ's tank and pump work , or does the XJ pump "have" to be fitted ?

91 will work. Renix and HO sending units are backwards and different resistance range. Pumps are also different. Between similar years the pump itself is the same between XJ and MJ. Sending units are mirror image, but supposedly an XJ unit will fit in an aftermarket MJ tank without the pan in the bottom.

91 will work. Renix and HO sending units are backwards and different resistance range. Pumps are also different. Between similar years the pump itself is the same between XJ and MJ. Sending units are mirror image, but supposedly an XJ unit will fit in an aftermarket MJ tank without the pan in the bottom.

Thanks , that was the only question I had left to confirm on the swap .

Looks like I'll be stripping the 91 very soon , like , maybe start today :) . Almost hurts to take apart something that runs great but the gear box is hooped and the cancer has eaten the body . I could fix it , but , it was bought for the engine , t-case , D44 and a few other pcs , now it's kinda in my way . As rare as these trucks are , I could have had 3 more given to me in the past month . I may still pick one up , a 89 long box 2wd . Some minor front end damages , and a bad rear diff , not too rusty at all .

Looks like I'll be stripping the 91 very soon , like , maybe start today :) . Almost hurts to take apart something that runs great but the gear box is hooped and the cancer has eaten the body . I could fix it , but , it was bought for the engine , t-case , D44 and a few other pcs , now it's kinda in my way . As rare as these trucks are , I could have had 3 more given to me in the past month . I may still pick one up , a 89 long box 2wd . Some minor front end damages , and a bad rear diff , not too rusty at all .

It was hard for me to commit to gutting my perfectly good XJ too! Once I did, I was happy, because XJs had a longer run, and are a dime a dozen, but a fully functioning, good looking MJ is like a Unicorn around here! (Northern Indiana.)

It was hard for me to commit to gutting my perfectly good XJ too! Once I did, I was happy, because XJs had a longer run, and are a dime a dozen, but a fully functioning, good looking MJ is like a Unicorn around here! (Northern Indiana.)

Don't hate me , the 91 is an MJ :peek: I bought it mainly for the rebuilt engine with 30K that sounds sooooo good . The reverse has a major clunk , but still functions , forwards are good . The rockers are eaten , cab corners disintigrated , basically every panel would need work/replacing . Looks great from 20-30 feet away , LOL .

It's definately fixable , but man , it took alot of coaxing to my girl to get another project when I took on my 88 . I need those parts from the 91 to keep building the 88 (which has original shiney paint on the floors) Once it's scrapped , listed and picked for parts , I have little doubt where it's headed .

I made a promise to get it , scrap it , and get rid of it . You can kick my @$$ all over this forum , she has me by the balls :rotf: