HO Swap Fuel Guage/Sending Unit Solution ???

Could it be that easy ?? I just did a full HO Swap into my 88 using the wiring, guage cluster computer etc from a mix of 92 & 93 XJ's.

I had a few concerns, mainly about the the whole incompatible fuel sending unit, but also not having a functioning shift indicator on the column for when my daughter/wife drove it. So today I decided I was going to mod the HO Fuel guage so that I could add the shift indicator to it, then i had a thought, why couldn't i just swap the fuel guage from my renix cluster into the HO cluster, they mount the same, and the holes are already there for the shift indicator.

So I proceeded to swap out the guages, dropped the cluster back in, attached the shift indicator to the column, turned on the key so i could check out the shift indicator to make sure it was lined up properly and hmmm whats this ??? my fuel guage is going the right way. naw couldn't be that easy, went and put in another 20 litres and yup the guage functions properly and appears to be dead on as far as accuracy goes.

I find it hard to believe that I am the first one to try this, but in all my searching I have yet to find anyone else mentioning this as a solution.

Interesting way to go about it. Does it seem to read correctly? I look forward to hearing your long term experience with the set up.

Did you install the higher pressure HO pump?

I have a 16 Gal (60L) Tank, from empty I added 60 L from 3 20L gerry cans, guage reads full, I will drive it until is shows empty and then fill it up again to get a true idea. I did not use the HO pump I am still using the renix pump/sending unit and it seems to be running just fine.

The only difference between the 88 and 92 fuel gauges were the resistors on the guage itself, mounting, wiring and every thing else was identical, the 92 cluster even had the mounting points for the column shift indicator cast into it as well as the hole in the bottom.

Sounds like you are using the 92 idiot light cluster then as the full six gauge cluster had no provisions for mounting the shift indicator.

Yes I am, I will be using a set of aftermarket guages for temp, oil pressure and Amperage but I am curious now as to whether the other guages will drop in to the cluster and just work.

Sounds like you are using the 92 idiot light cluster then as the full six gauge cluster had no provisions for mounting the shift indicator.

Yes I am, I will be using a set of aftermarket guages for temp, oil pressure and Amperage but I am curious now as to whether the other guages will drop in to the cluster and just work.

The fuel gauge changed both polarity and resistance range from the Renix cluster to the late-model cluster. The other gauges did not change, IIRC. But there is no ammeter -- the MJ used a voltmeter. There's nothing to change there -- volts are volts, there is no sender.