Steering box frame rip and poor repair...

I bought this mj a year ago knowing it had been poorly welded on, but had been looking for "this" truck for too long to not buy it :) we know how hard they are to find... 4x4, LWB, RE 5.5+/- lift, came on 37"s (immediately switched to 33"s), 5 speed, and 150,000 on the 4.0 , w/ 8.25 rear end...=$1,800 ! and hardly any rust. I've used it as a surf/ work/ play truck occasionally for the last year and it works damn well. If I wasn't forced to drive 70 mph on the freeway all the time it wouldn't be a discussion, but the steering is little sketchy to say the least especially with any bumps on the road. I figured the lack of a sway bar and extreme angles were the problem and could be fixed with new parts( Currie CurrectLync+ AntiRock) So, yesterday I went to get consultation and it backfired... instead I got confirmation on the reality that where the steering box tore the frame and was poorly fixed is going to be expensive to fix and REALLY needs it if I want to wheel. What topped it off was the guy telling me I'm never going to get the mj to have good highway manners with it the way it is.

I've got into it:

Initial price- 1,800

33" Maxxis- 800

new shocks- 120

Misc Upgrades- 200

+ repairs- 500+/-

I was about to get some custom fab done ( rear bumper, sliders, rollbar, maybe tied all together into a mild exo) and both the jeep mechanic and the welder said the frame can be fixed, but with some of the other less than clean mods/ repair I'm having second thoughts :hmm: To continue with the expensive dream on a less than perfect base?

So I am seeking the wisdom of those that have gone before me...

#1- Is it a good idea to fix the frame and continue the project

2- if so, can the steering really ever be highway LEGIT with 33-35"s?

3-If not, is finding a 2wd LWB and swapping reasonable? (having a hard time finding a replacement LWB 4X4)

4- Overall recommendations? if you had this rig which is great, but quirky as hell, whats the next step?

5- If I was going to sell it how much do you think it is worth?

Sorry I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm too damn emotional about it to think clearly.

I was going to spend around 2,000 +/- for fab and locker action :), but now it looks like that would go to repairs for the most part...

I don't really want to be more than 5,000 deep and not be close to done. Surprise, surprise, a jeep going over budget :)

If anybody actually reads this and responds, Thank you!

I would pin the cracks, weld them shut, and plate the area with fish mouthed 1/8 plate.

I would also run a steering box brace to help stop it from ever happening again.

I would go with a good long arm kit in the front and ditch the short arms.

Semper Fi!

The short arm RE lift has brackets for the control arms that either bolt or weld on but it looks like they have been welded too so I question if I can just unbolt the arm set up and put on a long arm. the old fix on the frame is really a piece of work... I'm trying to figure out how to post pics for a visual.

Other than the steering box repair, what else do you beleive is sketchy? The frame repair there has been documented here in these pages many times. If all the front end parts are tight and proper, you should have no problem running whatever speed you want with 33's. Theres no reason you can't make this truck into what you want.