New owner of a 1988 Comanche needs help?

Alright Not sure if this is the right place to post or not. I Just bought a 1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 long bed in a marooninsh color with 33x13.50 toyo open countries for 1300$. I'd been wanting a comanche for quite a while but Now I'm kinda stuck. It needs a little work, The people before the people I bought it from Swapped out the stock Engine and maybe the Trans and Transfer case too? to the newer 4.0. It runs like a champ, but My speedo doesn't work, and few other things are not "Right" but work for now. My main thing is I want my speedo working because I live in Nazi York now and they have this crappy thing called Vehicle inspection. So I have a Mechanical Gauge, and have wires coming from my transmission and Transfer case (Which one does the speedo go too?) So I went down to the JY and got a Cluster from a newer cherokee . and thats where I am at lol.

Welcome to the club... You know what year the drivetrain is out of? You will anyway to replace parts and stuff.

If you have the problem I think you do, manual cluster, Electric sender... Its an easy fix. You can just pull out the electrical speed sensor on the transfercase, and replace it with the mechanical one... Real simple to do. Replace it with the mech one, and get yourself a cable.

Did they change the harness too?

Rob

Thank You for your welcome , I know Its out of an early 90's Cherokee, Is there anyway I can figure out a specific year? And yeah I have an Electric Sender , with a mechanical speedo but I Have the Cable, and its been hanging from the bottom of the truck for who knows how long. When I have a day off from work I'll Have to Try and take out the electric sender and attach the mech speedo cable. Thanks for that info. I feel like a :dunce: Lol

You'll need the actual mechanical insert. Probably only run you a couple of bucks at a junkyard. Try to find a similarly equipped XJ/MJ... IE, make sure the drivetrain matches close. That way the mech speedo gear will match to the correct axle ratios. Assuming that the PO didn't swap the harnesses on you, you wouldn't even have the right equipment to make the electrical cluster work anyway.

Rob

Sorry to be a pain, but Do you know where I can find a sender? I called Car Quest and the guy said they don't even stock the part. I did a quick look online , but came up with nothing. I'll Go More in depth in my search when I have time, But if you could Save me the trouble? Our JY Doesn't have any Jeeps of similar years, with the Mechanical Gauges and Units. Thanks

Thanks, Um When I pulled out my electrical Unit It Had the Orange Gear , but with the Short Shaft. Do I need a new Gear then? Because I Finally got it all hooked up and went about 12 Mph and it didn't read :/ Did you have to Swap to a Bigger Shaft like the one in the middle of your Picture? I hate to sound like a newbie to this , but I am. If so Where could I find one of those? Thanks.

the gear size determines how fast the speed spins. any gear should work, but only one wil be accurate for any particular tire size. there's a chart somewhere showing which one goes with what tire.

the important thing is that any gear should give you a reading of some kind (assuming everything else is working properly). the speedo housing you installed has markings on it and you need to rotate it to the appropriate side. The rotation brings the gear closer or further away to the main shaft inside and affects tooth engagement. if you clean up the metal speedo housing, you should see little numbers on it.

What I think it is , is like what you said you did. I think I need a Speedo Gear with a longer shaft, because I think that the one that was on the electrical Sender Was to short to reach the cable inside of the housing, So I found a place that sells the long shaft versions and I ordered one. So I will See if it works when it gets here which I'm now pretty sire it will. Thanks Pete