97+ swap questions.

I am doing a full '98 swap on my MJ (dash and all) and would like to streamline the whole thing by having all my parts and answers in order first.

My donor xj has a blown motor so my (1st) question is... can all the sensors and such be swapped to a renix block to convert it to HO to put the '98 head and wiring on it? I've researched and all I can find is using an HO block or converting an HO intake to run renix electronics. Any advice? I don't want to rebuild the 98 motor and finding a worthy replacement is expensive.

yes, you can.

the blocks are more or less the same from '97-95, using the same cam, crank, pistons, rods, rings. the difference is the head, and thermostat housing...plus the renix block has a knock sensor.

you can do what you are suggesting...but were I you, I'd rebuild the head (lap valves, valve seals) and tear down the block to put new rings and bearings in it at minimum. now is the time to do it.

-Pat

I am planning on having the head gone over, being that it came off a motor with a blown head gasket and some cooked pistons. My '90 however, is relatively low-mile and runs strong so I know it should last for a good while as-is. I hope in the future to get one of these engines rebuilt but I want to get this truck on the road soon and on the cheap for now. I'm not one to cut corners but my funds are limited.

Thank you, Pat for your input though. You said the blocks are basically the same from '97-95, so... is that still suggesting a '98 head can go on a '90 block? I'm pretty sure it can. All the help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

sorry, i meant '87-95.

even up to 2001 the blocks were more or less the same, but a lack of knock sensor after '91, and the different cam in '96+...

the head will bolt up to the renix block. leave the knock sensor in the block as a plug.

I strongly suggest against two things...paying to have your head re-done yourself when you can buy a valve spring compressor, lapping tool, and seals for much less, and have done the work....and putting a freshened head on a non-freshened motor. you don't have to do the rings if the cylinders look good, but I'd inspect every last inch of that block.

-Pat

Those are very valid points. I do need to get the head looked at to make sure it's not warped or needing to be resurfaced. I can do the valves myself. As for your second point, this is not a permanent solution, but a budget-friendly quick fix, if you will.

The engine will get rebuilt or replaced when the wallet allows it. Which is also why I don't want to put too much work into the head just yet.

Don't take this as me brushing you off, I respect your opinion. You're definitely more knowledgeable than I am.

Those are very valid points. I do need to get the head looked at to make sure it's not warped or needing to be resurfaced. I can do the valves myself. As for your second point, this is not a permanent solution, but a budget-friendly quick fix, if you will.

The engine will get rebuilt or replaced when the wallet allows it. Which is also why I don't want to put too much work into the head just yet.

Don't take this as me brushing you off, I respect your opinion. You're definitely more knowledgeable than I am.

lol. it's not a problem, and i'm not taking it like you're brushing me off.

I'm just coming from my experience....it's real hard for me to justify doing any project if it's temporary. i'm sick of "temporary"....won't lift a finger to work on something unless i'm doing it right, or it MUST be done in order to drive it.