takes along time to start

First off, which motor do you have?

Second, what is a "long time?"

Third, when was the last time a tune-up was done? That'd be my first line of thinking if it's been a while.

Try cycling the key a few times before starting the Jeep up. Turn the key to the on position (not the start position), hold it for a few seconds there, and repeat a few times, then try starting her up. If she fires right up then you have a pressure leak back issue. If that doesn't fix it, check the ignition system and do a tune up if it's been quite a while.

Those would be the two areas I'd start at.

sorry its a 4.0 and it takes atlest 7 sec to start

befor it would just fire up like it was new

i tuned it up at least a mounth ago

2 things.

Try priming the fuel pump by cycling the key a few times before igniting, see if it starts faster. If thats the case you've got a lazy pump.

Check/Clean your CPS, (follow the wire that travel over the intake manifold to the sensor on the top, driver side of bell housing) they are known to cause long/no starts as well.

Recently I got to play with a Snap-on MT2500 scanner and my Jeeps. It was an eye opener on how the ECM deals with all the inputs from the sensors...but in answer to your question - the 87 was taking about 7-10 seconds to start, and the sensor indicated that the stator (pick-up coil) inside the distributor had switched from sequential injector pulse to simultanous injector pulse.

I didn't even know the stator could do that, but the diagnosis codes description said that a symptom was longer cranking times and extremely rich mixtures (bad MPG). The MJ would start and run but the scanner recommended replacement, and when I did it then showed sequential pulse, and the start time dropped to about 3-4 seconds.

Just as a side note - the short term ECM fuel adjustment went back to normal as well.