Valve cover

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good higher rise valve cover or valve cover riser. My Harland Sharp roller rockers are hitting (even though they say they clear) I've searched but not finding something that says if its taller or how tall it is.

Any links or help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Jason

Its application will be 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 inline 6

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good higher rise valve cover or valve cover riser. My Harland Sharp roller rockers are hitting (even though they say they clear) I've searched but not finding something that says if its taller or how tall it is.

Are these the bolt-on pedestal mount rockers, or the stud mount ones? Lots of info on these over on the stroker forum.

Are these the bolt-on pedestal mount rockers, or the stud mount ones? Lots of info on these over on the stroker forum.

There the non-adjustable Part #S40196

http://www.harlandsharp.com/amc_jeep_olds.htm

Basically I'm looking for a higher clearance valve cover.

Stroker forum?

Yeah, they are supposed to work w. the stock cover - no experience with them but I've been looking at roller rockers for my stroker too. Yella Terra's in particular.

Strokers forum: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/index.php

Search around there or ask your question. Doubtful you'll find good info on the topic here.

Found the forum, looks like some good info on there. Thanks for the referral.

They were barely touching, but they did touch. Here is a picture of the valve cover. The rockers only showed wear on a couple of them. Guess the anodizing was strong enough and the contact light enough. There is still a tick so I'm guessing its just gonna be permanent.

Good excuse to get a nice looking cover though.

Here is a picture, you can see wear marks on inside of cover, and one of the rockers is bare in a small spot.

I modded the shield in the current cover for now (broke loose one side of sheild and re tacked it higher up), and think I found an alum. one that will have enough clearance. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I make a phone call.

Cheers

In case some one has this response down the road I wanted to edit a little. I do feel all options could work but......[/color]

Use two gaskets.They tend to leak enough with one gasket.

Grind valleys in the valve cover.I did this as a temp. fix till I get a taller one , but allowing oil splash right at rockers and especially ones under lines seems a bad long term idea.

Grind off the part of the rocker arm that's hitting.300+ dollar rockers, not a chance in hell. Maybe that is just me though. lol.

:wrench:

I really thought about no 3 a long time, was really hesitant about suggesting grinding a shiny new part and what it would do to the strength of the part etc. but then said to heck with it. They're just suggestions. Many a time I've rejected a suggestion for one reason or another but it would give me an idea for doing it another way. :thumbsup: And as for the leaking gasket, in my life I have never had a gasket leak that had a good coat of Indian Head shellac gasket sealer on it. I'm not sure they even make it any more. You could glue a head to the block with that stuff and not even use any head bolts. :D

Yeah, they are supposed to work w. the stock cover - no experience with them but I've been looking at roller rockers for my stroker too. Yella Terra's in particular.

Strokers forum: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/index.php

Search around there or ask your question. Doubtful you'll find good info on the topic here.

Found the forum, looks like some good info on there. Thanks for the referral.

They were barely touching, but they did touch. Here is a picture of the valve cover. The rockers only showed wear on a couple of them. Guess the anodizing was strong enough and the contact light enough. There is still a tick so I'm guessing its just gonna be permanent.

Good excuse to get a nice looking cover though.

Here is a picture, you can see wear marks on inside of cover, and one of the rockers is bare in a small spot.

I modded the shield in the current cover for now (broke loose one side of sheild and re tacked it higher up), and think I found an alum. one that will have enough clearance. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I make a phone call. Cheers

So tell me all about the Harland Sharp #S40196 rockers. I've know a few guys who have installed the Yella Terra's in their strokers and are happy with them. Outside of the tapping on the cover, how do you like them? And yes, I think the earlier cast aluminum covers are a bit taller inside the the stamped steel one you show. :cheers:

Don,

They seem good. I checked all of them at 24 and they were tight and solid. The motor has just hit 7000 miles. I just recently picked the truck up(had about 3500 when I bought it). I know it was properly broken in. Other than the ticking sound I like them fine. The motor is a tourque monster for sure(ported/polished,forged pistons,etc etc). My only comment would be that if you say they clear stock cover, they should do just that. I do think that Harland makes the best rockers from a few motor guys I have talked with, along with the reality that allot of times they will never be quite. I'm no motorhead myself so I admit I'm going off others opinions that have far more knowledge than I. I'll be ordering a alum. cover today. I'll let you know when I get it what the clearance difference is.

Cheers, Jason