Column shift MJ starting issue

Hello all! New to the forum, love what you guys do!

I've got a 91, 4.0 MJ with a column shift that I'm having some issues with. When i bought the truck the seller told me that you needed to pull up on the shifter when you start it. Well, that worked for about the first ten times and now it won't start at all. I started by removing and cleaning the neutral safety switch because my backup lights don't work, that didn't help. Next i tried to adjust the shifter cable but could not locate any adjustment on either end. The truck shifts fine through all gears and doesn't seem to have any slack in it so i would think its not the cable. The shifter cable only goes from the trans to the bottom of the column so putting pressure on the shifter wouldn't effect cable tension, maybe a switch? I'm not able to find any info on the column shift Mj's and i have zero experience with them. I'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction, any imput would help. Thanks!

just checked the NSS again and it seems to be fine, also my back up lights are working now. Still won't start in park or neutral. Could there be something in the column that has failed, holding up on the shifter was putting enough pressure on something to make it start.

Use your circuit tester to see if you have continuity between terminals B & C at the NSS harness connector when in P or Neutral. If you don't you need to loosen the NSS adjusting nut (the small top one) and rotate the switch until you have continuity in both positions and then lock it down to 9 ft#. If you can't get it to a continuity state the NSS could be bad. On an 89 terminal B & C are the 2 terminals located in the center of the lower row of the harness. The harness is located near the rear of block on pass side of MJ. You can usually get the alignment close by aligning the small notch/groove on the end of he NSS shaft that takes the large nut with the line that runs up the cover of the switch. Hope this helps.