NV3550

Hi, I'm pretty new here and have some questions for you guys. I have an 88 4.0 litre, five speed, 4wd, swb, pioneer, MJ. I want to get rid of the ba 10/5 before it blows up on me. It is already showing signs of failure, so its about time to replace it. I found a jy that has a 5-speed from a 2001 cherokee with a 4.0 litre and 4wd. If I'm not mistaken, this is an nv3550, right? Is there a way to identify that it is for sure? I don't want to end up with the wrong transmission and the NV1500, NV3500 and NV3550 all look similar. Is there a part number or some thing that I can check? Also, do I need to get the crossmember or will the one I have work? Are the bell housings different? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :wavey:

If it's in a 2001 Cherokee it is a 3550. And the 3500 and 3550 are the exact same tranny except that one has the bell housing integral and the other has it bolted on -- and I can never remember which is which.

I would assume the bell housings are different. Your '88 has the internal slave cylinder. The 2001 XJ has an external slave.

I just want to make sure that it is an NV3550. Just because the guy at the jy is saying thats what it came out of doesn't mean that is what it actually came out of, ya know what I mean? When I talked to him on the phone he sounded like kind of an @ss, and I don't want to get riped off. Isn't there a casting number that will tell me if that's what it is for sure?

Thanks

Suggest you get all linkages, brackets, and bolts that you can.

I'm thinking you might need the correct TC linkages from that setup, don't forget the bracket on the body side.

If you can get the Xmember and all the clutch stuff even better.

If a business/counterperson can't treat me with the respect that I deserve as a customer, then I'll take my money elsewhere.

That is if I can find what I need elsewhere, if not .......eat crow, grease,*&&%$#@#% :fs1: