Another beat into the ground question -- taillights

I got tired of reading 18 pages of search results for "taillights"...... Not very much info for a search of "taillight sockets"....... So here we go:

Are there any aftermarket sockets for the MJ taillight housings? I took a quick look at Autozone this afternoon and it seems like there might be one that would work.

We are working on a 88 Shorty with plenty of "Previous Owner" additions, subtractions and just enoughs. The sockets in the tails are in pretty sad shape. I am probably going to be doing some new wiring and might as well go all the way to the bulb so that I know it's right.

• 1 year later...
Guest lamart91

Does anyone know how to get the red plastic lens off of the black housing easily? I'd like to clean them up and repaint the reflectors. I remember reading somewhere about sticking them in an oven at 250 degrees for like 20 seconds at a time until the glue/rtv softens but not melting the lens. Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone know how to get the red plastic lens off of the black housing easily? I'd like to clean them up and repaint the reflectors. I remember reading somewhere about sticking them in an oven at 250 degrees for like 20 seconds at a time until the glue/rtv softens but not melting the lens. Has anyone tried this?

I tried it but mine didnt come apart.

Me too. I may have not had it in there long enough but I was a bit leery about melting a $40 housing. So, I just put some 409 in there and swished it around, stuck a gun cleaning rod in there with a big shotgun pad on it and wiped up the inside....shiny now.