Oil pressure range?

My oil gauge always sticked at like 60 when cold for few years when i change the cluster to a full package. Now i found that i had to add afew quarts of oil to it and is now reading almost to zero but does move some. I think it may be the gauge itself but not sure. I don't hear anything wrong with the motor. Need some help. If it maybe the gauge wasnt there a member that rebuilt them and sold them?

I've also had senders go bad... they're like 20$, and pretty easy to change, just make sure you use teflon tape.

I'd say test the gauge by making sure the needle moves when grounded/powered, but I don't know what safe voltage range is, so I'll let someone else chime in with that...

The crude test for the gauge is easy. Power on -- remove the pigtail from the sender terminal, the gauge should peg at 80 psi. Ground the pigtail to the block, the gauge should drop to zero.

On the sender, check it with an ohmmeter. The range is zero to 88 ohms. Running oil pressure should be "somewhere in the middle," so look for an ohm reading in the 40 range with the engine at about 2000 RPM. If it's nowhere near that, try a new sender.

The crude test for the gauge is easy. Power on -- remove the pigtail from the sender terminal, the gauge should peg at 80 psi. Ground the pigtail to the block, the gauge should drop to zero.

Thanks, that exactly the kind of test I was talking about... now I know. Hopefully that will help the OP as well.