Axle Seal Orientation

I'm replacing axle seals. What I found looks opposite than the way I've always

installed them (flat side out). The FSM doesn't show orientation of seal. In the

image, you can see the old seal, and both sides of new seals. So my question is,

which is right? Is the old seal I'm replacing correct or incorrect, or does it even

matter? I've always installed them flat side out.

Image Not Found

Yes, but not very much. Interestingly enough, I took the old ones out and they're the same

on both sides----there is no flat side. Plus they have an outer flange that controls the insertion

depth. On top of that they were installed wet with RTV and bonded in place. Parts house

swears the ones I bought are correct, and the diameter and thickness is correct, but they're

very different than what I removed.

Just had my new D44 regeared last week, and the new axle seals I used (Timkin) looked like yours Tom. Installed flat side out. It should be that way for the seal retainer plate to butt against. The old seals were the same on both sides so it did not matter which way they went in. The only reason I can see that the axle seals are made this way now is for cost savings. No leaks so far on the axles.

However, I have to redo the dayem pinion seal as it's leaking. The pinion yoke, right axle (bent) and the Trac-Loc carrier are the only parts not new in the axle. Since I have to replace the pinion seal, I ordered a new U-bolt pinion yoke from Randy's as they are stronger, will have a clean bearing surface for the seal, and don't cost too much. :cheers:

Your new ones are the way axle seals have been made for ... well, like forever. The open lip faces in so the axle can slide in without damaging the seal, and any pressure build-up inside tends to force the lip tighter around the axle shaft.

The factory seal was made the way it is because they were being slapped in on a mass production line by high school dropouts, so they used one that CAN'T be installed backwards.

That's pretty much what I concluded after pulling them out. New seals are in,

just like we've always done, and all is well. I polished the axle shaft where

they will rub since the seal lips are slightly farther outboard than they were on

the old seals.

Your new ones are the way axle seals have been made for ... well, like forever. The open lip faces in so the axle can slide in without damaging the seal, and any pressure build-up inside tends to force the lip tighter around the axle shaft.

The factory seal was made the way it is because they were being slapped in on a mass production line by high school dropouts, so they used one that CAN'T be installed backwards.

So if the factory seal can't be installed backwards, it must be a double lipped seal internally. These are common on motorcycles. But cost more.