87 2.5 - suddenly, rough idle!

My 87 has started and ran like a top for the past 4 years.

This morning coming off a light it felt like it was bogging down and I had to feather the clutch to get it the revs up enough to smooth out and then it'd go. Every time the engine throttles down after a rev it will idle roughly and have no power- even after a shift that wasn't revved high. I had to limp it back home to park it. Now, idle is rough with both a cold and warm engine (tried it after being parked for 8 hours in 35 degree weather).

Recent work in the past month: new clutch, new drive belt, new headlights, new air filter.

Other misc info: no cat, new muffler less than a year ago, no blue/black/white exhaust, 4 speed, 170k.

Any ideas? Throw anything out there you may think it is. I already am going to change the plugs this weekend and put a new radiator and hoses in it too (but now this happened).

Really- any ideas?

My 87 2.5 would run like crap like that quite a bit, I did all the stuff you mentioned with tune up, gutted cat, etc..... finally put a new O2 sensor in it and its been great ever since. I think it was like $42 from the dealer.... but that was a few years ago, and at my employee discount. Still shouldnt be much aftermarket. Good luck.

Put in Bosch platinum plugs and new wires from Napa on Friday evening. Runs now as smooth as a 24 year old Jeep is expected to run.

Old plugs were nasty and gapped to .055. Old wires were brittle. Both plugs and wires were probably a decade or more old.