Distributor noise, howling.

I've replaced everything in the front of the MJ. All the belt driven accesories are new, including the belt, idler, harmonic balancer. I had the howl, whine, screech (whatever) in this video.

Well, it was making the SAME noise when the belt was off, so I started looking for other sources of noise. It IS coming from the distributor. I don't have any performance or drivability issues, just the noise.

My question is, am I better off just buying a new (reman) distributor or trying to fix/rebuild this one. And what is it I'm looking for in the distributor shaft? Bearing(s)?? ...and is it just that simple, replacing a bearing?

There was a thread on this on the Strokers forum. A guy tried to find bushings and bearings to rebuild his distributor and had a hard time doing it. There's no "kit" for them, and he couldn't find all the parts he needed. Based on that, I'd just get another. Have you pulled the distributor yet to inspect it? I've never heard one do that before.......

No, I have not pulled it but after searching around the engine with my stethoscope and the belt OFF the noise is definitely coming from the dist housing. I might think that the oil pump is making the sound and transmitting it up the shaft. The internals of the dist look good, new wires. I have to look for an exploded view to see what CAN produce that sound, and so loud.

Thanks,

I've been leery of re-man anything, but since I've been wrenching on cars for 30+ years I've never come across a toasted dizzy. Prices at AZ and NAPA are comparable. Looks like I can do the whole job including cap & rotor for $100. Seems OK to me. Doesn't seem like a NEW one is readily available.

The NAPA website lists it w/o "module"...what module...and if it's working do I bother replacing the "module"??

my favorite new smilie

umn.gif

Mine started doing the same thing about a month ago when we got our first cold snap ( -18 deg. ). Couldn't figure out what it was. After driving for a few minutes it went away :dunno: . Did this every time it was first started for about a week and a half. Hasn't done it since. Keep us posted if new distributor takes care of it. I might be needing too.

Thanks,

I

The NAPA website lists it w/o "module"...what module...and if it's working do I bother replacing the "module"?? <---this a renixs system gutless one or a magnetic pick up one ??both are ford designed -like the ones used the 300 cid L-6 but many changes where done to them ,sorry no cross over i wished !

my favorite new smilie

umn.gif