Ratio Change - Next Phase

Recap: Dumping Dana 35 3.07 for stronger 3.55

Ok, I have the Chrysler 8.25 axle assembly from a 2000 XJ. I've

also bagged a set of calipers and backing plates from a 97 ZJ to add disc

brakes. The backing plates will require enlarging the center hole due to

axle tube size difference. Both the XJ and the ZJ backing plates required

quite a bit of force to remove (press fit or rust fit, perhaps a bit of both?),

and I'm wondering just how tight this fit needs to be. The braking force

is rotational, and I believe it transfers to the axle tube through the bolts.

Does anyone think the center hole need to be "press fit" tight? Or just slip fit?

Next question, does anyone here advise against the Aussie locker?

i did that same swap, mine werent TIGHT but they weren loose either. if i rember right the backing plate is just a dust shield, so slip fit will be fine. the caliper bracket is the important one. i have an aussie in the rear of my zj and like it. rarely chirps when i turn real tight, but its a noticable clicking when turning, no biggie to me. I'm sure you know this but make sure you have a open diff, it won't fit in the limited slip carrier

I personally would avoid the Aussie for the 29-spline 8.25. I know numerous KJ owners who have blown them apart. In my case, my unit is back at Aussie for them to inspect. It was installed by a ASE master tech who has installed about a dozen drop-ins. It was well within specs when installed and it self-destructed. I am probably screwed as I bought it new, but second hand, from a guy who had his blow up. This was their brand new warranty replacement and he did not want to re-install it due to the first failure. I believed it was an anomaly at the time and took a chance on it. Big mistake.

i believe in the Aussie product, but after my debacle i recalled aussie's long delay in putting this model out due to self-admitted issues with it after they announced receiving the initial shipment. suddenly it was all good and they began selling them. I now think it was more of a case of " we have 100's of these and can't afford to eat them." i would still use one in any fitment but the 8.25.

I personally would avoid the Aussie for the 29-spline 8.25. I know numerous KJ owners who have blown them apart. In my case, my unit is back at Aussie for them to inspect. It was installed by a ASE master tech who has installed about a dozen drop-ins. It was well within specs when installed and it self-destructed. I am probably screwed as I bought it new, but second hand, from a guy who had his blow up. This was their brand new warranty replacement and he did not want to re-install it due to the first failure. I believed it was an anomaly at the time and took a chance on it. Big mistake.

i believe in the Aussie product, but after my debacle i recalled aussie's long delay in putting this model out due to self-admitted issues with it after they announced receiving the initial shipment. suddenly it was all good and they began selling them. I now think it was more of a case of " we have 100's of these and can't afford to eat them." i would still use one in any fitment but the 8.25.

Funny that the 8.25" has had problems,

since they raised prices, instead of using their normal $199.00 introductory pricing when they released it.

I'm sure there's no connection between the price & whatever the defect is,

but the raised price was the one thing that kept me from buying one.

I guess they did me a favor.

Goodluck finding a resolution with yours, hopefully they do the right thing.

(FWIW I posted my questions to the Pirate 4x4 $199 Aussie thread, and always received prompt PM's back from them, if that helps)

Not to hijack too much, but they have been very good at communication. I understand most places would not even begin to consider replacing the unit as I bought it NIB and uninstalled, but second-hand. If they do not cover it I will be understanding of that.

Steering back to topic, it turns out the ZJ backing plates (yes, I mean the caliper brackets, not the sheet metal) needed

only a very minor ID polish to remove maybe 0.010" at most and they now slide on snugly. Also turns out the Aussie for

my axle is temporarily unavailable (AU flooding), so it looks like the Powertrax no-slip will be the unit I use to replace

my open diff. Got the perches ordered today (Morris 4x4 in FL at $23 for the pair delivered) and tomorrow I start

grinding off the old stuff. I located today some good info on driveline angles and how to measure, at this website:

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_hel ... Angles.htm

Towards the bottom of the page is a "specifications" section I found most helpful in figuring out the right relationship

between transfer case yoke angle, driveshaft angle, and axle pinion yoke angle. Will use this info to establish the

correct spring perch position. Anyone have opinions on the Powertrax product?