aftermarket temp gauge

Hey all,

Bought an aftermarket temp gauge, since my factory gauge no longer works. I swapped to a gauge console with tach a few years back, and even swapped the printed circuit with a NOS one I found. I have changed the sending unit, changed the gauge itself, and it always reads high. A buddy of mine hooked up a Renix scanner, and the gauge was always about 20* higher (so we set the electric fan thermostat off the scanner).

Anyways, giving up on the factory gauge, especially since I may be having some head gasket issues, I want to get an accurate gauge on there. Bought a sunpro from Autozone, and none of the fittings they have are even CLOSE to the sensor fitting in the head. Should I just drill and tap a hole in the thermostat housing? I'd probably have to use TWO reducers to get the sensor into the head.

What have other folks done?

Thanks-

Tom

:popcorn:

get a late model XJ thermo housing....it's already drilled and tapped for the sensor. Can't say 100% positive, but it should interchange with a 2.5 housing.

If not, use lots of RTV..... :rotfl2:

Jeff

Hey all,

Bought an aftermarket temp gauge, since my factory gauge no longer works. I swapped to a gauge console with tach a few years back, and even swapped the printed circuit with a NOS one I found. I have changed the sending unit, changed the gauge itself, and it always reads high. A buddy of mine hooked up a Renix scanner, and the gauge was always about 20* higher (so we set the electric fan thermostat off the scanner).

Anyways, giving up on the factory gauge, especially since I may be having some head gasket issues, I want to get an accurate gauge on there. Bought a sunpro from Autozone, and none of the fittings they have are even CLOSE to the sensor fitting in the head. Should I just drill and tap a hole in the thermostat housing? I'd probably have to use TWO reducers to get the sensor into the head.

What have other folks done?Thanks- Tom :popcorn:

Most folks use an electronic aftermarket gauge as the sensor is 1/8" or 1/4" NPT and the sensor will screw right in the head. Your mechanical gauge probable has at least a 5/8" NPT sensor that's an inch long or so. That won't work in the thermostat housing either.

Thank you both!!

:cheers:

Hey all,

What have other folks done?Thanks- Tom :popcorn:

Most folks use an electronic aftermarket gauge as the sensor is 1/8" or 1/4" NPT and the sensor will screw right in the head. Your mechanical gauge probable has at least a 5/8" NPT sensor that's an inch long or so. That won't work in the thermostat housing either.