dana 35 yoke broken bolt ? It's a 1987 MJ

Ok I was installing the drive shaft in the front axle . When I broken one of the bolts off in the front yoke .

As I've never taken one off before . Is it just take the big ( looks like a 11/8 to me ) nut off and install another one .Or does it have a effect on the pinion dept and have to be reset.

I'll be fixing it tomorrow as we are getting a bit more snow ( kansas city)

thanks in advance

Typo in your subject. Font axle is a Dana 30; Dana 35 is the rear axle.

Some Dana 30s use a crush sleeve, with the pinion nut setting bearing preload. Some use shims instead. I'm pretty sure in 87 they used shims, so you don't have to worry about it.

As MO said, use a new nut, and not a bad idea to replace the 24 year old seal while you're there. Be aware the seal is probably rust welded to the housing and will be a bugger to get out.

Well looks like it will be removing the yoke tomorrow .

I like the u bolt conversion as well . I'll have to see if O reily's or Autoidiots have the u bolt kit .

Will say one thing I was able to do a search and get my MJ front axle working . Had to do the flip the fork on the vacuum actuated shift motor trick . I was able to pick up a pto cable

( $5.00) for doing the cable conversion when the weather gets better .

Thanks for the good info . As I live out on 40 acres with a low water crossing and a 1 mile driveway . That now has over 10 inches of snow with another 4-6 more coming sunday .

Well looks like it will be removing the yoke tomorrow .

I like the u bolt conversion as well . I'll have to see if O reily's or Autoidiots have the u bolt kit .

Measure the center-to-center spacing on the holes, and look on the HELP! pegboard display. IIRC, there's a u-bolt kit for some Ford vehicle that's also correct for the Jeep yokes.