5.9L magnum

I'm thinking abt stripping off a mag engine and swapping it into the Comanche in the future. trans will be the NV4500 manual

comments?

Are you good with wiring? I mean really good? There is a lot of it!

I will give you a few secrets but not all of them. I plan on doing the Magnum swaps in Jeeps as a side business when I retire. But, I will be back in Acworth GA in a couple years and will gladly do the swap for you for a fee. I am currently elbow deep in the swap. It is not one to be taken lightly. It is a LOT of work. Mine should be done (running) in a couple months. I get about 12 hours a week to work on it.

You will need,

a HO era (91-94) XJ engine and interior harness

a HO XJ gauge cluster

a 93 on XJ headlight switch

a 93-95 V8 ZJ donor

a HO era XJ HVAC box

new drive shafts (custom made)

a pre 96 5.9 ECM

any year Magnum 5.9

a 46RH trans

95 or newer 231 transfer case

and finally a friend who can weld and fab

Like I said, it is a lot of work and it is a little pricey to get all the parts stock piled. You would be a few dollars better off using a 5.2 out of a ZJ donor.

WTF was I thinking doing this! :doh:

I'm thinking abt stripping off a mag engine and swapping it into the Comanche in the future. trans will be the NV4500 manual

comments?

Are you good with wiring? I mean really good? There is a lot of it!

I will give you a few secrets but not all of them. I plan on doing the Magnum swaps in Jeeps as a side business when I retire. But, I will be back in Acworth GA in a couple years and will gladly do the swap for you for a fee. I am currently elbow deep in the swap. It is not one to be taken lightly. It is a LOT of work. Mine should be done (running) in a couple months. I get about 12 hours a week to work on it.

You will need,

a HO era (91-94) XJ engine and interior harness

a HO XJ gauge cluster

a 93 on XJ headlight switch

a 93-95 V8 ZJ donor

a HO era XJ HVAC box

new drive shafts (custom made)

a pre 96 5.9 ECM

any year Magnum 5.9

a 46RH trans

95 or newer 231 transfer case

and finally a friend who can weld and fab

Like I said, it is a lot of work and it is a little pricey to get all the parts stock piled. You would be a few dollars better off using a 5.2 out of a ZJ donor.

WTF was I thinking doing this! :doh:

I'm not too bad with electricity, i figure them out pretty fast and will be learning more in college.

i think i will be using a 98 5.9L ZJ as a donor. not sure of parts are interchangeable

i have a friend who welds aircraft frame on base for a living.

this is just a discussion, not gonna do it in the near future, more likely after college and a large savings account :)

i do want the 231 tc for the 4wd, so thats perfect.

why not the NV4500? or the 3500?

if i actually do this help would be greatly appreciated, its nice to have someone with experience to show me the ropes :)

I don't like sticks in a 4x4. Just a personal preference really. If you plan on keeping a D35 for any amount of time the auto is the way to go. If you want a stick, upgrade the rear end before you even test drive it, lol.

If you are going to use a OBD-II ecm you will need to do a 97+ conversion as well.

Good luck with your school. When you get ready to do the conversion I should be back in north Georgia.

I don't like sticks in a 4x4. Just a personal preference really. If you plan on keeping a D35 for any amount of time the auto is the way to go. If you want a stick, upgrade the rear end before you even test drive it, lol.

If you are going to use a OBD-II ecm you will need to do a 97+ conversion as well.

Good luck with your school. When you get ready to do the conversion I should be back in north Georgia.

ah okay, I'm pretty much the opposite, i hate automatics, they suck lol. i will be using D44 in the rear and d30 in the front when i swap in the 4x4. thats one of the first mods I'm doing to it. thanks! i plan to have the automotive diploma and 5+ certifications :)

ah okay, I'm pretty much the opposite, i hate automatics, they suck lol. i will be using D44 in the rear and d30 in the front when i swap in the 4x4. thats one of the first mods I'm doing to it. thanks! i plan to have the automotive diploma and 5+ certifications :)

I give you 5 years in the field. ;)

I actually went through with the automotive technology cert (no real point in getting the associates), got out in the field for about 4 years then got laid off and said screw this. I ended up going back to school for mechanical Engineering (got one year left now of a 4 1/2 year bachelors).

I wish you the best with school and hope there are a lot more jobs down there than there are up here. Make sure you start a build thread when you start it, kinda interested just to see it put together.

I give you 5 years in the field. ;)

I actually went through with the automotive technology cert (no real point in getting the associates), got out in the field for about 4 years then got laid off and said screw this. I ended up going back to school for mechanical Engineering (got one year left now of a 4 1/2 year bachelors).

I wish you the best with school and hope there are a lot more jobs down there than there are up here. Make sure you start a build thread when you start it, kinda interested just to see it put together.

ive got one year home experience :D and thanks i plan to get the following..

-automotive fundamentals diploma (teaches everything)

-diesel

-marine

-motorcycle

-small engine

-body work

-welding

-electricity

-diesel

-marine

-motorcycle

-small engine

-body work

-welding

-electricity

That's one hell of a list there. I only went for the automotive fundamentals, small engine, welding and electricity (knew welding and electricity before hand so decided to just finish it off). Diesel is where all the money and jobs are around here but I refuse to touch that stuff due to the smell. Marine and Motorcycle are fairly easy once you understand engines and body work is definitely a good thing to know! I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

-diesel

-marine

-motorcycle

-small engine

-body work

-welding

-electricity

That's one hell of a list there. I only went for the automotive fundamentals, small engine, welding and electricity (knew welding and electricity before hand so decided to just finish it off). Diesel is where all the money and jobs are around here but I refuse to touch that stuff due to the smell. Marine and Motorcycle are fairly easy once you understand engines and body work is definitely a good thing to know! I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

yep diesel is good money, and gets u a job at the Mopar dealerships easy. its a long road but worth it in the end :thumbsup: