electric windows and locks

Do your 89 doors have the factory power locks and windows from a 2 door or 4 door Cherokee?

This question or similar ones have been asked and answered a dozen times (including by me)! Use the search function to find the answers. BUT, I "think" the wiring and the plugs changed in 1991 and the plugs are different. Again, "I think". Others will know.

Look for a post from hornbrod, it will tell you how to build a very simple cross body harness. You will need this to control the passenger door lock and window. I am still screwing around with that issue on my 91. Keeping my daily driver 96 Passat TDI running is first priority. (New transmission and clutch by the end of March).

It is from a 4 door Jeep Cherokee. I did look in the search for my answer, but I did not seem to find anything but the info on 1996 and newer unless I missed it. Any assiance from a seasoned Jeep'er is Welcomed.

Thanks for assisting me.

need crossover wiring from donor jeep. plugs in. remove rear wiring.

sit down and look at wiring, easy once you actually sit and look at it...but you will want the wiring that goes under the carpet.

I agree. You will want the wiring from a 2 door that goes under the carpet. I have it, but have not done the installation yet.

However, that is not the only way to do the job.

Yes, search can be hard to use. I will see what I can find for links and post them. Good review for me.

However, that is not the only way to do the job.

This is true. I chose not to use the crappy stock regulators as they are too slow, too expensive, and don't last long. The stock power window regulators are one of Mopar's biggest cash cow profit parts. I also did not want to wire in power door locks as the stock solenoids are also high failure items. I used better quality aftermarket power regulators and adapted stock XJ/MJ window switches (2-pole drivers side, 1-pole passenger side) and made my own wiring harnesses to mate to the OEM switches. Looks stock, but performs better. :cheers:

Don,

Agree about the slow and crap stock parts!

Can you post what aftermarket parts you did use and what stock parts you used??? Would not hurt to add how you built the cross body harness.

If I can follow your instructions, I will take pictures and post it in the DYI forum. This question comes up several times per year.

JJ

From an earlier post:

I've done this, but elected to do just the power windows, not the power door locks. I used a 2-switch window controller panel from a RHD XJ passenger side door for my drivers door, and rear 4DR single switch panel for the passenger side door. Makes for a neater install w/o all the extra switches. The 4-door wiring harness is good to have only for the molded switch connectors that mate to the window switches. For regulators I used the XJ front door Electric Life kit; the XJ regulators have a very bad problem with longevity, and they are slow as hell. I've got the wiring schematic if you need it.

http://www.electric-life.com/shopexd.asp?id=1175

• 1 month later...

ok started the swap i have the doner in my yard. i have the cross over wires under the carpet but when i removed the doors on the 91 the drivers side door the wiring is very different not enough wires, do i need more parts just asking i don't know i'm really confused :wall: do ineed more from somewhere else or from the fuse box. my 91 is a pioneer no air just a plane jane jeep?