Check your rears!!!

I had some whining in my rear when I was steady/coast on the gas. I knew my pinion bearing was on the outs. Pulled the fill plug and started to suck the old fluid out and it was just pure silver! All the fluids were replaced right before I got the truck and I personally put the 1998 4.0 in it so I know fluids up front are good. Well seeing as how the pinion is eating itself up and making that noise I sucked out as much as I could and then refilled with 50% Lucas engine/gearbox treatment and some 85W-140. It went from whining to almost 100% quiet!!! Now this isn't my "fix" and I think I have a line on a 44 but I wanted to make this post to remind people to take a look and possibly change the oil in those often neglected pigs of differentials.

:USAflag: comanche.gif :USAflag:

FLUID!?

Well the thick Lucas shut it up a bit but once the Lucas shears even that cannot take the place of a bearing. Its much quieter but it could use a new rear. I'm honestly thinking 8.8 except I don't like that they are a little narrower than stock Jeep rears. The other one I am thinking about is a WJ aluminum 44 with quadra-drive vari-lock axles. I've owned lots of WJ's with those rear and they make your tires stick like glue!