1989 pioneer

A few months ago I bought an 89 MJ for $600. 4.0 auto 190k miles 2wd. It is from Tennessee so it has very little rust. It does however have a dented left fender and was missing the turn & parking light. It also has a custom plastic window in the pass side door. I plan to swap it over to 4x4 to make a trail truck. Here is a pic when I got it home.

Here is a pic after I swapped in the 4x4 axle from my parts cherokee. It came with 2.5" coil spacers, new tie rod ends, shocks, track bar, brake lines and a wheel bearing. Plus it had great 31" mudstar tires on 15x8 mod wheels.

This is a pic after I trimmed the fenders a little bit. I think I may bob the bed!

I now need to install the 4x trans and tcase. Replace the plexiglass pass side window, weld the rear axle up, and install a lock right in the front if it will fit. (I bought it for a cj that I sold). I have been chasing electrical gremlins for months. No turn signals, wipers or heater fan. Once I replaced the turn signal bulb sockets, added a new dash ground, and installed a new ignition switch its fixed! Since all the 4x4 MJs I looked at when Jeep shopping cost around $1500-$3500 I figure I am in this one right since I have almost made my money back on the donor XJ by selling the engine and some other misc parts. I wish I had more pics, but I forget to snap the camera when I have wrenches flying about.

@Rymanrph, it is hard to see in the pics, but it used to be a work truck so it is covered in small dents. It looks like it was wheeled hard even though only 2wd. Southernwheeler, After owning 14 or so Jeeps, I think Ill keep this one. I like the white, with red alot!

@Rymanrph, it is hard to see in the pics, but it used to be a work truck so it is covered in small dents. It looks like it was wheeled hard even though only 2wd. Southernwheeler, After owning 14 or so Jeeps, I think Ill keep this one. I like the white, with red alot!

That's cool; its still a great looking truck. The red accents on white is pretty unique and is a great combination.

I will use the dana 35 until it breaks then either buy an 8.8 then upgrade the fronts shafts. Or buy a bronco to use the 44 and 9 inch, and scrap the rest. Either way I need to sell my Cobra to fully upgrade the underside. I also want to dual case the 231 with a dana 300 after an axle beefing.