Replacing muffler

All right gents, here's where I find myself today.

Exhaust%20015.jpg

I decided it would be easier to pull the whole exhaust system out rather than fight with it under the Jeep. I may have gotten in a little over my head here. :doh: What's the next step?

Exhaust%20016.jpg

The muffler is obviously toast, but I have no idea about the catalytic converter.

Exhaust%20018.jpg

Is there a way to get it tested? If it's still good, I'll put some more effort into getting them apart, but if it's bad, I won't bother.

Basically, now that I've gotten it all taken apart, I need to figure out what is good, replace what's bad, and get it put back together.

Exhaust work is best done by a muffler shop if you're not experienced.

What's wrong, errant exhaust gases entering the cab due to bonehead installation isn't the proper method? :D

Yeah, I suppose bolting it back up won't be too hard. Getting the bolts out was the worst part - I can't imagine what it's like for any of y'all in the rust belt.

:D

Well first I should ask if you've checked to see if the damage is covered under warranty.

:D

Well I'll say this...it looks like you left the headpipe on the vehicle. I just did an engine swap, which I literally buttoned up this morning.

From the headpipe you have a gasket; the one I got at advance was a ring of lead. Then you'll probably want to put new bolts through the flange (I used 3/8" coarse 2.5" grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers from Home Depot). From there back you can start getting parts at RockAuto.com and should be able to get some good stuff. Another trick I've found for low priced parts is to buy on advanceauto.com and then use any of the coupon codes (search google and you'll see how you can get a minimum of 20% off).

I hope any of this helps!

does your state have vehicle inspections? if you don't, just take off the catalytic converter and straight pipe it by welding in a peace of pipe where the catalytic converter was. if your state dose have inspections leave your catalytic converter on because I'm sure it is fine. on the inside of the catalytic converter it looks like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQLVol9SjHYm7Oi1zcNFcX6Fd1Qjq1RitVlqMzn0C4nMMTrObZ8w

so if you can get if off you should be able to see right though it with out any chunks in it. if its all broken up inside it can make your truck fell sluggish when speeding up and make your mpg suck really bad. since you need a muffler then you can go with either an after market muffler like a nice flow master or one like you already had on. like this:http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep/Cherokee/Dynomax/Muffler/1989/D2217704.html?TID=froogle&cpdymu89jeepcherokee19852001dynomaxd22177041

hope that was a help full

Brandon

Exhaust%20017.jpg

This is the inside of my cat, which seems to look ok. However, when I turned the whole mess up on end, a bunch of chunks fell out the tailpipe - I assume from the rotten muffler. We do have emissions inspections, but I got a two-year certification and I hope to be moved away before that expires, so the cat isn't a huge deal.

Every job I do on this truck shows me a deficiency in my tool arsenal - in this case, it's a Sawzall (or at least a hacksaw) and some type of welder. Well, that and some instruction in the use of said welder. Sawzalls seem to need no instruction - just a few beers.

Anyway, I fired it up for a quick trip around the block sans exhaust, and while it was way too loud for a DD under acceleration, I found the burble at idle (and just above) quite agreeable. It reminded me of the sound you get out of a lot of 50's vintage rides, mostly thanks to the straight-six layout, I'm sure. Any suggestions for a muffler that would quiet things down for DD duty while leaving some character (and a few bills in my wallet?)

Your rusted muffler looks to be the same condition (and probably sounds as bad) as the one I replaced this past winter. Any muffler shop should only charge 50-80 bucks for a quiet muffler. The one I got was 70 installed and came from a cadillac or suburban or something like that with a v8- i wanted quiet and that's what I have now... quiet.

Your rusted muffler looks to be the same condition (and probably sounds as bad) as the one I replaced this past winter.

Did you have the automotive equivalent of 500 million angry bees coming from just below and behind your passenger door? Good times.

Lucky for me, that muffler is the rustiest part of my Jeep.