'88 Jeep Comanche restoration

I bought an 88 jeep comanche 5.0 straight 6 2wd 5 spd trani with 289,000 miles

i started fixing it up and then stoped. i am now planning on doing a full restoration.

i want to:

-put a small chevy 8 cyl engine

-put an auto 4wd trani

-make the outside look stock and original and than everything else will be new

any suggestions or comments?

My advice would be before making any decisions, or jumping in head first in any directions, hang around here a little while. Get used to the truck, look around, see what you like and don't like. Don't light the torch yet, do some learning, and then start your direction. Decide if you want to have an off roader, a street truck, a daily driver, a mud truck, or whatever. And then think about how to go about it, and ask a bunch of questions.

I bought an 88 jeep comanche 5.0 straight 6 2wd 5 spd trani with 289,000 miles

i started fixing it up and then stoped. i am now planning on doing a full restoration.

i want to:

-put a small chevy 8 cyl engine

-put an auto 4wd trani

-make the outside look stock and original and than everything else will be new

any suggestions or comments?

Welcome, I am pretty new myself. Why put a small chevy in, when you already have a 5.0? :smart: I think you meant a 4.0

na i have a 5.0 (the biggest stock straight 6) i was looking at small 8s and the cheepest i can find is about 1200, i may rebuild that. what i don't want is to have the engine go down the rd. the block is mint. will that give me trouble if i keep that in and put a newer auto 4wd trani?

another question i have is about parts. i have found that atleast in connecticut it is tough to get parts. does anyone know any sites that sell the parts or do i have to go junkyard diving ? also the truck bed is pretty rough, would you recommended just patching/bondo or is it even possible to get a "new" bed?