Shifting issues *update*

I believe I have the 904 transmission in my 88 mj. The problem is when you drop it into drive, it goes straight to 3rd gear. Forcing me to manually shift 1st through 3rd. Any suggestions? i'm at a loss. Sorry this is kinda short, typing on my phone. Also when shiftng gears manually it does it beautifully, no grinding or strange clunks.

I hate the 904... my family has had a dozen chrysler/dodge products with it.

I would flush it and drop in a new filter. Always a good start. Generally when they let go, you get nothing at all or grinding.

Being too full can also cause issues. Do the flush, and switch to a atf+4 instead of +3.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me that since the transmission is old and probably 140+ thousand miles on it that a flush would be a bad idea. still at a loss:( i don't really want to take it to a transmission shop and lose and arm and a leg in the process.

hrmm, well I just got under the truck and looked at the transmission. doesn't look like a 904, looks more like an aw4. but there is too much gunk to read the plate. maybe the guy that sold it to me didn't know what he was talking about

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the salvage yard and yanked the 3 shifter solenoids from an XJ and installed them in my tranny. Didn't fix anything, didn't make anything worse. I put some ATF+4 in while I was at it. Didn't do a flush, just drained and filled when the pan was installed again. about every month I'm going to drain the tranny again and put more ATF+4 until I feel it's mostly new transmission fluid inside.

I talked to someone who worked on transmissions for a quite some time and he said it sounded like the main valve might be stuck and that it sounds scary but he used to open the valves by popping it into park at around 25mph. I was not planning on doing this lol, however I was on my way to petsmart with my dog in the cab when she bumped into my while I was shifting to 2nd and I accidently popped it into park. Killed the engine and I was freaking out, started back up and it still shifts fine except when it drive. still goes straight to 3rd gear.

One of my buddies was saying it might be might shift cable or tps? and that I might have to adjust it. How would I go about checking that?

I had a problem similar to this some time back in one of my XJ's.

Come to find out that I had inadvertently unplugged the

transmission control module. Once that was plugged back up,

everything was fine.

the TCM, is that also called the TCU by some? and where would I locate that?:P I might head back to the salvage yard and pick one up.

this box?

Also there was a couple loose wires down there

and

not sure what they go to.

and I noticed a 10 amp fuse on a wire that was burnt out on the harness that goes to that box. about to head to autozone for one.

That's the one!

HA! fixed it. the blown fuse melted the fuse holder too so I had to splice a new one on. shifts beautifully on her own now:D what makes me angry about repairing it with a new fuse is I took it to Mr. Transmission for a free quote, and they told me the transmission was bad...that I would either have to pay for a new one to put in there or rebuild the current one. I feel like reporting them to the BBB.

Glad you got it working. Ain't it a shame many auto repair shops try to rip people off. My AW4 was doing similiar thing as yours so I went around the corner to ______ trans repair and ask what it would cost to have a solenoid replaced that I had already diagnoised as the problem. Tryed to convince me that I needed a total rebuild as a solenoid wouldn't cause that problem. Got on the net & looked at AW4 schematics & fixed it my self for about $15. Crooks abound in all professions.