weekend project

Finally have a work (and family) free weekend, so I can wrench on the MJ a bit. I'm going to install a selectrac vaccuum switch I got at the pick-n-pull last year :shock: so I can disco my front axle and hopefully save a bit of gas $$$

Rumor has it that later model Dodge front disco axles have steel shift forks in 'em that swap in directly for the aluminum ones. I have to pick up another CAD at the 'yard tomorrow, and they don't mind mixing/matching parts, so I'd like to get a Dodge fork. Anyone know what they're in? I have a magnet, but it'd be nice to just find what I need w/o having to pull off a bunch of CAD's to get it :)

Here's a pic of the switch I'm gonna plumb up:

Image Not Found

Anyone else doing anything fun this weekend?

Jeff

This is an interesting thing, and the first I had heard of it. So basically if I understnad you right it is kinda a "posi-lock" type setup. To answer your question what dodge trucks came with the VD housing, it would be pretty much all of the Ram 1500, with 4wd, and the 3/4and 1ton that do not have locking hubs.

Also I believe the dodge axles are Dana 44 or dana 50's which might mean the shift forks are beefier... I am not sure on this, cause I never persued this kinda swap. Let us know how it works out though.

Patrick

Yup, when I converted last year I just shimmed over the fork with some washers instead of messing with all the vaccuum crap. Works fine, but all my junk is spinning all the time, and I'd like to see how much a difference having the one side disconnected makes, if any (and I ain't dishing out any $$ for a posilock, homebrew or otherwise)

That switch is a simple 2 position (lighted) vaccuum switch, and is found in older XJ's and Waggy's with the 228/229 case. It sits in the shifter console, where the little dished out plastic insert goes (screws in from underneath). I'm not sure if I'm gonna put it there or somewhere else in the dash.

Maybe I'll "borrow" the dig cam from work and snap some pics off :lol:

I'll see what I can dig up at the 'yard tomorrow and post up what I find out.

Jeff

• 9 months later...

I've never had a vacuum disconnect, but it seems to me there were a lot of articles on how to make your own manual shifter out of a bicycle brake cable for around 20 bucks. It seemed like a good plan and I know one of my friends did it. Offroad.com had at least one write up on it.

I've never had a vacuum disconnect, but it seems to me there were a lot of articles on how to make your own manual shifter out of a bicycle brake cable for around 20 bucks. It seemed like a good plan and I know one of my friends did it. Offroad.com had at least one write up on it.

i have that write up. do you know how it went for him and what he thinks of it?

Alex