question about grand cherokee

Hey guys, I found a deal on a cheap 95 grand cherokee limited but it says it has a dead tranny. I'm assuming it has the 5.2 since it is a limited and it says it has full time four wheel drive and an auto tranny. My question is do you know what transmissions come with the 5.2 and how common they are? I would love to pick this up and just throw a junk yard tranny in there, but I don't know which one to look for. :dunno:

Thanks for looking,

Adam

I have had 2 Grands...one was a 93 had the 4.0l and AW4 trans and a np242 (not fulltime). My other was a 97 5.2 42re, and had the np241 (fulltime). The 93 was the best, the AW4 is the most bullet proof trans Mopar has that uses elec. overdrive. The 97 had 2 trans into it and going on the 3rd. If it was worth the time and money...get an AW4 trans and swap, but you'd need the engine harness, computer and trans module from the donor vehicle to make it all work. Save yourself the pain and get a ZJ with the 4.0 and the AW4.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

AW4 swaps are common to the 4.0 ZJ, and it is pretty much bulletproof; however, I believe it only came factory in early 1993 ZJ's so parts in yards are pretty rare (shift bezel, etc.)