Lower control arm swap question...

I did an alignment this weekend, and knew that my caster was not where I wanted it to be, it was just over 4 to start with. I bought 8 new OEM caster shims, and installed them, and they didnt even put me to 5, so I cut a couple peices of steel and put in the shim area, and they got me to just over 6 degrees. I seem to remember something a while back saying that WJ lower control arms were ever so slightly longer than stock lower control arms. Am I correct in remembering it that way? A search turned up nothing but references to swapping them in and the mod to make them fit in place, so I'm just asking if I am remembering right. If so, that would help me get closer to the OEM recommended 7.5 degree caster angle. I know 6 isnt bad, and I may just leave it at that, but I would like it be right if I can. Thanks!

Just buy some arms the length you need ($130 at Rusty's) or build them. The steel is cheap and the ends can be as cheap or expensive as you want. Even if you don't have a welder you could buy a $20 grinder with cutoff wheels, get everything ready, and then have a buddy weld it all up for you. 6* of caster is fine though.

I did an alignment this weekend, and knew that my caster was not where I wanted it to be, it was just over 4 to start with. I bought 8 new OEM caster shims, and installed them, and they didnt even put me to 5, so I cut a couple peices of steel and put in the shim area, and they got me to just over 6 degrees. I seem to remember something a while back saying that WJ lower control arms were ever so slightly longer than stock lower control arms. Am I correct in remembering it that way? A search turned up nothing but references to swapping them in and the mod to make them fit in place, so I'm just asking if I am remembering right. If so, that would help me get closer to the OEM recommended 7.5 degree caster angle. I know 6 isnt bad, and I may just leave it at that, but I would like it be right if I can. Thanks!

That's odd. When I did my lift (3") I used the WJ LCAs, and all it required for shims was one 4mm shim on each side to correct my caster from 4.5* to 7.0*. Did you use the thick 4.0mm shims or the thin .95mm shims?

That's odd. When I did my lift (3") I used the WJ LCAs, and all it required for shims was one 4mm shim on each side to correct my caster from 4.5* to 7.0*. Did you use the thick 4.0mm shims or the thin .95mm shims?

I ordered 6 of the thin shims, and two of the thick shims, but when I went to open the package of shims at the time of my alignment, I found I had only thin shims, .95mm seems thick to me though, I'm not sure the shims I got were that thick, though I could be wrong. There were at least 3-4 shims in there to begin with too, so I added 4 thin shims and One peice of 3/16" steel plate on each side to get what I got. I have a set of WJ control arms sitting here, but I know the vehicle I took them off of was a little abused in the mud pits at Uharrie state park in North Carolina, so I'm a little worried about their condition. But with it the way it is now at 6 degrees, and driving without DW, I think Ill be happy for a while!