Fellow Comencheros help!

I hope this post will not go on too long, here goes.1987 4.0 5-speed 185,000mi on clock still orig engine. Broke down 2mos. ago found the dist gear broken,replaced re set dist. by placing at TDC moved oil pump to 11:00 pos. as per how to reset timing once engine turned.Popped in and pointed to #1. Start engine idles,But stumbles and spits thru pipe @2000rpm.Replaced evry known sensor on truck! evn new injectors.No plugged cat. Still no resolution.At my wits end,but not giving up.

You could also be 180 degrees out of time. Remember, the crankshaft goes around twice for every one revolution of the distributor, with each cylinder coming up twice -- once for compression (which is when it fires) and again for exhaust. Let's just say that I know how easy it is to forget that, and set the distributor so it's firing on the exhaust stroke.

You could also be 180 degrees out of time. Remember, the crankshaft goes around twice for every one revolution of the distributor, with each cylinder coming up twice -- once for compression (which is when it fires) and again for exhaust. Let's just say that I know how easy it is to forget that, and set the distributor so it's firing on the exhaust stroke.

I don't think that's it, since he says it runs. But his dizzy is definitely off.

I had a similar situation with my 2.5 when I was putting it together. The distributor post is a 4:00 and the rotor needs to be set at 6:00. I kept looking at that and thinking this can’t be right, I had two different manuals and they both said the same thing. You stop and think the engine actually fires ~ 10-15 BTDC, that rotor is probably in the right place.