aussie locker d44

if i were to put an aussie locker in my rear d44, would the whole carrier need to be removed? i was told that some axles didn't require removal of the carrier for an aussie install and all i would have to do is pull my axle shafts.

A quick google indicates that an Aussie just replaces the spiders, so you shouldn't need to depending on your gearing.

Some gear ratios in some axles require the ring gear to be removed from the carrier to get the spider pin out.

It all depends on whether or not the cross shaft clears the ring gear. If it does, the carrier can stay in the diff. If not, the carrier has to be removed to take the ring gear off.

I know on a D30 with 3.55 gears the carrier has to be removed. But that's the only axle I've ever put an Aussie in.

Depends on the gear ratio. I have a Dana 44 in my XJ with 3.55 gears, I had to remove the carrier to put in a Lockright, (same as an Aussie) Wasn't a bad job, just if you do, when you put the carrier back in, DO NOT use the endcaps to seat the carrier back in place, If you break one, Game Over. They are machined to fit your axle. I used a plastic deadblow hammer to get it back in place, then put the caps on. Also make sure the left and right caps go back to the correct side they came from.