front axle booboo~~~ doh

Lock the CAD over.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18415

Let me know if I am comprehending this correctly.

I read the thread supplied by your link over a few times, I noticed that there's "two" places to engage 4WD, the t-case and the CAD. My MJ does not have a CAD engaging switch only a t-case gear (correct?) and I am thinking if I lock the CAD over on my donor axle then I should be fine to engage the t-case 4WD with the gear lever, therefore my truck will be in 4WD by using the t-case lever only.

Essentially; lock the CAD in place using the instructions, then use the lever in my truck to engage 4WD?

:wavey:

4 good options here. Option 1 would require you to get the vacuum harness to make it all functional, probably the most involved of the 4... Does your t-case have the vacuum switch on it? Option 2 - 4x4 Posi-Lok is a mechanical means to shift the cad, which is pretty neat. Option 3 - Drill and Pin Fork is just another of many methods to permenantly lock the fork over. Option 4 - Superior One-Piece Shaft Upgrade is by far the best choice.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

They began getting rid of the CAD in 91. I've only ever seen ONE 91 with a CAD axle, and nothing newer with one. Even if you had the CAD system hooked up, it would be controlled by pulling the T-case lever anyway. The CAD system was put in to attempt to help with mileage, but was more trouble than it was worth. Locking the CAD is your most efficent fix. Don't even think about installing the vacuum harness and switch, the posi-lock kits can be expensive and really aren't worth it unless you have a reason to use 2wd Low.

Either lock the CAD, or get a 1 piece axleshaft for the driver's side from a non-CAD D30.

The only great part about having the disconnect in the front is you can weld the spiders or put in a spool, without major consequences on road. Essentially, you can lock the differential together, since you can disconnect the one axle, allowing free movement. One pull of the posi lock, and you have a locked front axle again.

Rob L.

The only great part about having the disconnect in the front is you can weld the spiders or put in a spool, without major consequences on road. Essentially, you can lock the differential together, since you can disconnect the one axle, allowing free movement. One pull of the posi lock, and you have a locked front axle again.

Rob L.

then you merely have the consequences of a spool with the 260 joints. :D