For future reference........

mythreesons

Just exactly what was the super duper trick that I should have known to get the gage bezel out of the dash on a 95 XJ? I would not last long at an car audio installation shop. I would be throwing a classic hissy fit in short order, I guarantee! :headpop:

I did finally get the silly thing out (and back in) so that I could install a new radio, but both halves of the steering cover came off, excess amounts of sweating was done, there were a few choice words, plastic was bent to conform to my will, NOTHING was broken, but geez that was not the easy way. I really don't care for the newer style steering wheel especially with the airbag, but I won't change it to the old style right now. If I have to get that bezel out again, ALL BETS ARE OFF! :fs1:

The 88 MJ here is so easy to work with, I got spoiled. :D

Pop the steering column shell off like you did, tilt the wheel all the way down if it's got a tilt wheel, then ease it out top edge first. It requires a little flexing but not much.

Getting the cluster itself out is also a bit annoying, but really not too bad. It mostly catches on the edge of the vinyl dash covering and frustrates me, I use a putty knife to lever/slide it by that if it catches.

That was where I was at. I had the steering wheel tilted down as far as it would go and had to do some serious convincing to get the bezel out. It was even worse going back in. I was ready to go back to my younger days with the Irish temper and explain the situation to the stupid thing.

Next time, I'm gonna reach up and unbolt the whole steering assy. and drop it. We'll see which way is less frustrating. Luckily, with full gauges, new radio and working switches I shouldn't have to get back into the dash for awhile.