86 Comanche starter motor

Help! ...

My starter motor has stuck..I need to get it off, the pictures in my manual don't help much and I have limited knowledge ...

I have an 86 Comanche 2.5 petrol inline 4 - (AMC 150) .... all original no mods...

Looking at it from underneath engine (working out on the road, no pit, no ramp! and it's chucking it down with rain!) :mad:

- it looks to me like 2 long bolts either side of motor to remove it (as well as disconnecting starter solenoid)

- these bolts look like TX star bolts? removeable by TX (star) socket - well that's what we call them here (UK) - am I right?

- then is it an E13 socket? (I bet it is because that's the one I don't have and can't find over here) ....... :shake:

I can't get a picture yet as the rain and general darkness/oily engine are making it impossible right now!...

any help and advice much needed as I need my truck back on the road as it's my daily driver and I can't get to work!....

I don't beleive those bolts are 'star' they should be hex heads 'six sided' although I havent pulled the starter on an '86. On the '87 they are not star. On my '87 they are in mm size, I thought one was 15mm and the other was 16mm. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

I don't beleive those bolts are 'star' they should be hex heads 'six sided' although I havent pulled the starter on an '86. On the '87 they are not star. On my '87 they are in mm size, I thought one was 15mm and the other was 16mm. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Thanks, think this may be on the straight 6 not the 4- but I'll have a look....I need all the help I can get!

they are inverted torx, E12 size (same as the upper bellhousing bolts on a 4.0L). In a real pinch, you can sacrifice a 12 point socket (5/16" IIRC) pounded onto the heads to remove them but you'll trash both the socket and the bolt heads (do this at your own risk....I had to do it once and it worked but you may end up with bigger problems if you strip the bolt head out completely :D )

You may also have a clearance issue with the inboard bolt contacting the exhaust when you drop it, as the pipe runs directly below it and the bolt is rather long.

Replace the crap E12 bolts with regular hex head bolts and washers.

Jeff

they are inverted torx, E12 size (same as the upper bellhousing bolts on a 4.0L). In a real pinch, you can sacrifice a 12 point socket (5/16" IIRC) pounded onto the heads to remove them but you'll trash both the socket and the bolt heads (do this at your own risk....I had to do it once and it worked but you may end up with bigger problems if you strip the bolt head out completely :D )

You may also have a clearance issue with the inboard bolt contacting the exhaust when you drop it, as the pipe runs directly below it and the bolt is rather long.

Replace the crap E12 bolts with regular hex head bolts and washers.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I have an e12 but it didn't want to go on, will have to persuade it! - I had spotted the exhaust being in the way, that can come off pretty easy - but at least I know I'm looking at the right bolts! Thanks, your a star!

Tracy

Sorry to be off topic, but I decided to Google "West Midlands". What a beautiful area! And the Cadbury Chocolate Musuem too! NICE!

And... how difficult is it to get parts for your Jeeps there? Just wondering. You and your husband seem to be dedicated Jeep nuts...Keep it up! Good luck with the starter!

Sorry to be off topic, but I decided to Google "West Midlands". What a beautiful area! And the Cadbury Chocolate Musuem too! NICE!

And... how difficult is it to get parts for your Jeeps there? Just wondering. You and your husband seem to be dedicated Jeep nuts...Keep it up! Good luck with the starter!

Some partsof the West Midlands are nice!... We have a great supplier here who ships in from the States so it's not too bad for parts, and of course old faithful Rock Auto always help.... Cadbury chocolate is now American owned by Kraft, caused a lot of problems here as another British industry bit the dust, but hey they call it progress ;)

We became Jeep nuts by default it was neve intended, mind you our surname is...Jee, so what else could we be!...

If you want to swap places, we'd much rather be in NC!! ..... jamminz.gif

Have a great day x

Another off topic - I dated a lovely brummy girl back in 2007 and have spent a lot of time in Wales and Wolverhampton while I was living in Ireland and dating a Welsh lass.

WYK