need speedo help asap!!

ok i was on my way to the gas station because i needed to be somewhere by 2. well that is not going to happen now. i noticed my speedo was not workin as i was going down the road. any ideas? its a 91 4.0L 4x4 with the CAD "fix". any help would be nice since i am running late and might not be able to make it now.

Alex

Either the cable snapped, or it came loose on either end. Check it where it screws into the TC to see if it's worked loose or fallen out. If good, check it at the back of the cluster. It's held in by either a metal tang or the other version has a plastic clip on the end that you have to squeeze to unlock the locking tabs on it (think of a cap on the top of a bottle of mouthwash....just about the same principal :D ) If both ends check out, either the cable snapped or the speedo gear inside the TC is stripped/broken, or has lost contact with the output shaft. The little C clamp that holds the sender housing in the case may have loosened (it's held by one bolt), and the sender might have rotated a bit, too. That would cause the speedo gear at the end to loose contact.

It's purely mechanical...nothing electrical in there at all (for your model year).

Jeff

you can drive it like that, tho (unless the speedo housing has completly fallen out of the TC :nuts: ....you'll loose fluid. Just don't speed ;)

actually its all electrical. i was hopeing it was something easy like a cable but on 91s there was no cable. i looked on the truck and in the manuals. the manuals are not tellin me crap other then it is electrical which i already knew.

Alex

Oops...I keep thinking you're still running your '86.

I'd still check to see if the sender hasn't rotated away any, that'll still cause problems. Check for continuity on the sending unit, and also check the wiring harness from there to the speedo. Maybe you got a pinch in the wiring? Do your other gauges work? There should be a small fuse (5A or so) in the block for the instrument cluster...see if it's good or not.

yep the rest of my gauges work just fine (other then the gas gauge witch is backwards from crossed wires). i will check the sender.

and yea I'm startin to miss my 86 since it was rust free and easy stuff to fix minus the crappy 2.8 in it.

Alex

well all wires and unit looks good by the TC. unless it is something internal, which i don't feel like messin with right now.

Alex

Would the CAD fix in any way mess things up? i had to use the 4wd on slick roads the other day when it was wet out. just a hunch.

CAD wouldn't affect the VSS. You can pull the sensor out and chuck the gear end up in a drill and spin it up to see if it's giving any output (and check to see if the gear is in good condition).

I'm'a heading to the 'yard tomorrow, and can grab you a VSS if your's checks out bad. Lemme know.

well i hooked the VSS up to the cordless drill like you said to try and it worked. so i don't know what the problem was. teeth look fine and everything. i put it back in and it works. idk I'm sort of lost as to why it happened in the first place now. oh well as long as its fixed i don't care then.

Alex

my CC don't work anyways because of the vac leak and i bet the relay is out or something. it would be nice if it worked but I'm not too worried. although i wish all my vent settings worked rather then just the def vents, but thats a vac problem too and I'm too lazy to mess with vac leaks.

Alex