MJ Rear Bumper

As most of you know there is really NO options out there for MJ rear bumpers other than the basic bumper that JCR offroad makes. I contacted Terry at Rigidco several months ago about possibly building a MJ rear bumper. He was excited to help out, the only problem was I was in NC and he is in UT. So after many emails and phone calls I ended up with a base rear bumper from him based off their XJ rear bumpers.

From that point I proceeded to modify my stock MJ bumper mounts and the Rigidco bumper to make it work on my truck. Below is the finished product. Let me know what you think.

Stock MJ tow bumper mounts (4 bolts along the frame and 1 under), cut down, plated, and gussets added. Drilled for a standard 3 bolt mounting to the rear bumper.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Trimmed and tapered ends of the bumper to be the same width of the tailgate. Capped the ends with 10g plate and ground the welds down smooth.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Test fit prior to paint

Image Not Found

Finished product painted with Rustoleum Spray on Bed Liner. Also I used flip down license plate bracket and a pair of LED LightBoltz to mount the tag.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

there is zero side protection there....and those stock mounts are too weak.

Why do I need side protection when I don't have rear lower quarter panels and the upper corners of the bed are armored? What a useless comment? :dunno: I don't see any TJ's out there with corner guards that run wrap around bumpers as well and their corner armour is less thick than mine.....

And the mounts are too weak for what? To pull a yacht? :shake:

Why do I need side protection when I don't have rear lower quarter panels and the upper corners of the bed are armored? What a useless comment? :dunno: I don't see any TJ's out there with corner guards that run wrap around bumpers as well and their corner armour is less thick than mine.....

My quarters are cut and I've come awful close to crushing my quarters landing on rocks.

The mounts to the body are too weak for even remedial recovery

My quarters are cut and I've come awful close to crushing my quarters landing on rocks.

The mounts to the body are too weak for even remedial recovery

I have to disagree on the mounts... if 5 3/8 bolts per side is weak.. then no one should ever do any recovery efforsts from the front. :hmm:

I still want to know where you got the corner guards

I have to disagree on the mounts... if 5 3/8 bolts per side is weak.. then no one should ever do any recovery efforsts from the front. :hmm:

I still want to know where you got the corner guards

it's the 1/8" steel that's mounted to the body. he reinforced everything except that...I've torn factory bumper brackets apart right off the frame on the back.